howlback

This vs. That - Veg Tan

I have access to Argentinian veg tan. I can sort through them and find what I want. It’s less than $5 sq/ft. I wouldn’t call any of it A-grade but I am able to pick out hides that work for me. I recently worked with some Hermann Oak and it seems like really nice stuff but it costs twice as much. I’m curious about the opinion of this vs. that when it comes to veg tan leather. Are you paying for consistency or brand name? Or so the dealer can make a buck?

I think if you have local access to inexpensive veg-tan that meets your quality control, i'd stick with it.  A lot of the price with the big names probably comes from consistency, you should be able to buy W&C/Horween/HO, etc site unseen and have a reasonable expectation that it will be quality leather.  This is huge for internet shoppers and businesses that want to order and have it show up ready to go vs going to the store and rummaging through.  Kind of like buying lumber, you can go to your local "all-in-one" store and get 2x4's, but you have to go through 10 to find 4 or 5 that are straight.

If your not tooling it sounds like a great buy. If your going to tool a lot, go with the Hermann Oak, tools way better. Try a piece of each, I am sure you will notice a big difference.