Blackbirdletterpress

oil on thread and dripping down needle

Hi there, I found a forum "thread" from 2012 and I have a question similar and wonder if anyone can help! The info about decreasing the hook oiler was great and helped. But I'm wondering if I have a different oil issue.

I have a Juki 1541S (actually a Yamata knock off) it is new. I am using it to bind notebooks, all paper. When sewing, oil starts to splatter from above the needle and of course splatters on the covers of the notebooks and oil surrounds the holes of each stitch. I've seen the oil drip down the needle. My first question is: Is there a way to regulate the oil from the wick up on top of the machine? The extra oil release is not consistent but happens enough to lose many notebooks. 

I had decreased the hook oiler when I first had this issue and it helped. I did oil the machine very very slightly yesterday so maybe it was already over oiled.....

Really appreciate any ideas. The machine is new to me and still working out the kinks. I'm attaching a photo where you will see lines of sewing with oil surrounding each hole. Sometimes it is less than starts more oil inconsistently.

Thanks! and all the best,
Kathryn

IMG_0983.jpg

FROM MY EXPERIENCE with sewing machines, it is almost as easy to over oil some spots as it is to under oil.

The wicks shouldn't be "soppy wet" with oil. If you could squeeze one it should look about like one of McDonalds french fries when you squeeze the oil out of them. LOL

Ferg

Thanks Ferg,

I tried sopping oil from the wicks if they seemed too filled up with oil. I thought it was back on track, but then after a few lines of stitching, oil comes squirting out again. :P

Appreciate your response!
Kathryn

Hi Kathryn, welcome! Sorry about your oil woes. There’s no adjustment to regulate the flow of oil on the top arm of the machine. As long as there’s oil in the reservoir, you don’t have to worry much about the machine freezing up. What tends to happen on wick oiled machines is the oil eventually pools up around the needle bar bushing as it’s the low point in the top arm. To prevent what you’re describing, most machines have a hunk of felt in the low spot that has a wick that runs from the low spot and follows the casting of the top arm back to the right end of the head and actually wicks the excess oil back to the bottom of the head. As the end of this wick is lower than your needle bar bushing, it should pull the excess oil away from it. If you remove the end cover of the machine you should see the bigger piece of felt with a wick leading away from it. If you have over oiled the machine, the best way to balance it back out is to get a bunch of lightweight cotton fabric. Old t shirts work great, as long as they’re 100% cotton. Cut it up and stuff the end of the head with it.  Let it set overnight or longer. It will soak up the excess oil for you. If there isn’t any felt for the return system, you’ll continue to fight this. I know on the Judi 1541 this return system is there and does a decent job. If you’re not sure what’s what, post a picture of the area where your needle bar goes through the bushing, looking at the top of it with the end cover removed. Have fun!

Regards, Eric 

Thank you Eric! That sounds like the info I need!!! I'll try your suggestions and will be in touch with questions or hopefully to tell you it worked. Thank you thank you!

Kathryn

Hi,

I looked for as much information I could find in the internet without much luck. I just got a cylindrical arm machine and every time I see drops of oil come from the bottom of the arm. About 8 drops every 28 inches of sewing. Anyone that can help me solve this issue or tricks to make it less annoying. My machine is a New Tech GC 8b and so frustrated. Any tips?