Hello fellow leatherworkers. Recently I've been questioning myself into what is better, to oil before dyeing or after? I've been said that before dyeing so dye gets in nice and even and some tell me it's better after. And what could be the best to get an even dye? I've used sponge, dauber, brush and always seem to get blotches in some areas even if caution is used. Sometimes they look cool but others I feel the piece ends up not to my taste. I'm thinking on airbrushing the dye. Can I get your thoughts on this please? Thank you a lot!

Joe.

I usually oil after I've dyed and before I top coat with whatever finish I'm using.

I normally use a cheap sponge brush that I buy at the dollar store, 6 brushes for $1.50. Put it on fairly heavy in a circular pattern then while it's still wet, do another application really heavy in a straight line. An airbrush will get it on more even but you are using less dye so it doesn't penetrate as deeply into the leather.

What Halitech said...

After dyeing, etc,...I apply NFO (not the compound) to the outside (grain side, not flesh side) of holsters, etc after they come out of the wet molding process & drying cabinet...then edge touch up, etc...and clear finish.

1 hour ago, Halitech said:

I usually oil after I've dyed and before I top coat with whatever finish I'm using.

I normally use a cheap sponge brush that I buy at the dollar store, 6 brushes for $1.50. Put it on fairly heavy in a circular pattern then while it's still wet, do another application really heavy in a straight line. An airbrush will get it on more even but you are using less dye so it doesn't penetrate as deeply into the leather.

Thank you very much!

44 minutes ago, Double Daddy said:

What Halitech said...

After dyeing, etc,...I apply NFO (not the compound) to the outside (grain side, not flesh side) of holsters, etc after they come out of the wet molding process & drying cabinet...then edge touch up, etc...and clear finish.

Thank you a lot.