2ndskinned

Ball bags....... Yep, you read that right

A few years ago I purchased a heap of bull scrotums.

Ive dug them out recently and started making them into small bags and phone pouches.

A few in varying stages so you can get an idea of them.

They are fun to make and Ive sold out so people must like them too.

1380792_710176302344245_311673041_n.jpg

080.JPG

048.JPG

Those look great.

Just now, bikermutt07 said:

Those look great.

Thanks. Im only a learner but loving the journey

Beautiful work and quite a conversation starter!

My dad had a suede 'ball and HOT DOG' warmer that he wore when it was cold---or so he said:)

Sam:)

I was in a feed and farm supply store yesterday and saw that they sold castration devices. I literally winced. And then you post this! 

I think this is super cool. Natives in Alberta, Canada, make dagger handles out of bear penis skin as well.

2 hours ago, kiwican said:

I was in a feed and farm supply store yesterday and saw that they sold castration devices. I literally winced. And then you post this! 

I've used the rubber rings for castrating and tailing sheep. The tups get over it in a few minutes, when the feeling goes away. At first I was a bit hesitant but an old boy told me they used a pocket knife and teeth in his youth. That's what the spey blade on a stockman knife is for. It's also why Aussie stockmen used to carry more than one knife -- something about cutting up their food with the same knife they used for the other purpose...

@2ndskinnedGreat work on using what's probably an overlooked resource. Do Aussies still make kangaroo scrotum coin pouches for the tourists? In one of his books Ron Edwards talks about stretching untanned bull pizzles over pieces of rattan for army officers' swagger sticks. That'll make ya wince.

I'm speechless... not sure if I could just reach in one of those to answer my phone. :rolleyes2:

Ok, I actually want to make one now just to gross-out friends. :lol:

2 hours ago, Wedgetail said:

Sold them all, hey? ..... Would you say you made sacks of cash?

I’d say a bag load :rofl:

On 4/4/2018 at 12:17 AM, ComputerDoctor said:

Beautiful work and quite a conversation starter!

My dad had a suede 'ball and HOT DOG' warmer that he wore when it was cold---or so he said:)

Sam:)

That conjours up some amazing pictures in my head!!!!!

On 4/4/2018 at 1:46 AM, kiwican said:

A fellow Kiwi? Nice.

On 4/4/2018 at 5:23 PM, Rolandranch said:

I'm speechless... not sure if I could just reach in one of those to answer my phone. :rolleyes2:

Ok, I actually want to make one now just to gross-out friends. :lol:

Its actually hard to tell. No one would know unless you mentioned it

On 4/4/2018 at 4:18 AM, Matt S said:

I've used the rubber rings for castrating and tailing sheep. The tups get over it in a few minutes, when the feeling goes away. At first I was a bit hesitant but an old boy told me they used a pocket knife and teeth in his youth. That's what the spey blade on a stockman knife is for. It's also why Aussie stockmen used to carry more than one knife -- something about cutting up their food with the same knife they used for the other purpose...

@2ndskinnedGreat work on using what's probably an overlooked resource. Do Aussies still make kangaroo scrotum coin pouches for the tourists? In one of his books Ron Edwards talks about stretching untanned bull pizzles over pieces of rattan for army officers' swagger sticks. That'll make ya wince.

Yes they do still make those roo scrotum pouches. They are much smaller tho and tend to be covered in fur so its way more obvious what they are. I just couldnt pop that swagger stick under my arm knowing that ;)

On 4/4/2018 at 4:05 AM, DrmCa said:

I think this is super cool. Natives in Alberta, Canada, make dagger handles out of bear penis skin as well.

I cant help but think of all the things required to get a bears penis skin. The mind boggles!

Most castrations these days are done with either elastic rings when the bull calf is only a few days old, or with bloodless castrators that crush the spermatic cord and artery, when they are slightly older. I imagine bull scrotums aren't all that easy to find!

Only a mature, or nearly mature bull could produce one big enough for a pouch, and very few farmers want to let a bull calf get that big, as they are so dangerous and hard to handle.

Just wondering where you'd source something like that...

Also, guessing the flap has to come from another source? Or is the scrotum big enough that you can make a flap from it too?

Tens of thousands (maybe more) of mature bulls that are either past their prime, have been injured and can no longer breed, or are culled for some other reason, hit the weigh-up market every year.  I wonder what does happen to those sacks??  Out in big cattle country, if you have a bull that is a repeat offender for getting through fences into the neighbor's cows, someday you'll likely find he's been turned into a steer and his sack hanging on a fencepost somewhere.  If you ride enough fences, that could be a source!

1 hour ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Tens of thousands (maybe more) of mature bulls that are either past their prime, have been injured and can no longer breed, or are culled for some other reason, hit the weigh-up market every year.  I wonder what does happen to those sacks??  Out in big cattle country, if you have a bull that is a repeat offender for getting through fences into the neighbor's cows, someday you'll likely find he's been turned into a steer and his sack hanging on a fencepost somewhere.  If you ride enough fences, that could be a source!

:lol:  Okay, I'm obviously from a part of the world which is NOT 'big cattle country' and am more familiar with dairy farming than beef! But yeah, that makes sense!