Sign in to follow this  
howlback

Band Knife vs Blade/Handcrank Splitters

I want to run my cut patterns and straps through a splitter. Assuming the pieces aren’t too wide, will a cobra 14/artisan do this or will I need a Band Knife? I use Veg Tan only.

Edited by howlback

Depends on the leather, mainly in terms of temper (firmness) and thickness, as well as the amount your want to split off the piece.

Fixed-knife splitters work best with thicker, firmer leathers. I also find they work best when you're trying to take at least 1mm off the piece, and are most reliable when removing around half the thickness of the leather.

Band-knife splitters will cope with a wide range of tempers and thicknesses of leather. They can also remove large or tiny amounts of leather at a time, allowing you to walk down to the thickness you need.

1 hour ago, Matt S said:

Depends on the leather, mainly in terms of temper (firmness) and thickness, as well as the amount your want to split off the piece.

Fixed-knife splitters work best with thicker, firmer leathers. I also find they work best when you're trying to take at least 1mm off the piece, and are most reliable when removing around half the thickness of the leather.

Band-knife splitters will cope with a wide range of tempers and thicknesses of leather. They can also remove large or tiny amounts of leather at a time, allowing you to walk down to the thickness you need.

Something with the ability to recall a specific thickness would be ideal (Landis 30 style). I’d want it mainly for leveling out the thickness of my pieces. However, I do buy 5/6, 6/7 and 8/9 oz hides. It would Be a blessing to be able to purchase only 8/9 oz and split the piece down depending on the application. Lots of factors here but where I buy leather, the heavier weight hides get picked through a lot less (better hides to choose from) and they’re not that much more expensive.