Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

thickness gauge caliper

I was nearly all set to fork over $90 for a thickness gauge from Ohi travel Bags, but then I thought better and bought this caliper on Ebay for $6.50 (and $9 shipping).

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-inch-Electronic-Digi...1QQcmdZViewItem

Just got it today. I think it works quite well.

Ed

Batteries go fast in these in-expensive ones (unless you're really really lucky). I got tired of keeping extra batteries around and reverted back to a mechanical caliper.

Batteries go fast in these in-expensive ones (unless you're really really lucky). I got tired of keeping extra batteries around and reverted back to a mechanical caliper.

Thanks, Regis. I knew something had to give. Now I know why the seller offered a second battery. Would you recommend a caliper with an analog dial?

Ed

Of course digital is faster to read but, slide and dial are pretty easy once you get used to it. Good luck on the batteries.

Regis

Of course digital is faster to read but, slide and dial are pretty easy once you get used to it. Good luck on the batteries.

Regis

I'm now bidding on an analog caliper. The digits on the new digital caliper are already blinkingm, which I think means the battery is on the blink.

Usually I always run a purchase by the group before making a decision. Thanks again for the heads up.

Ed

Regis,

It has taken me a long time to reply, but thanks for recommending the analog caliper. Now I have both. They are indispensable. The digital one I bought isn't all that bad on batteries. I had to change the battery two days ago.

Ed

The digital one looks like the one we use at work, but its probably lots different. Not had to replace the battery yet, but it doesn't get a whole lot of use. Just to calibrate the lab a few times a year. Works really good tho.

I've had one of the inexpensive digital calipers from ebay for a few months. I must have gotten a bad one because it eats batteries like crazy.

If one wanted a good digital caliper, what are some recommendations for brand and retail outlet? And, what can I expect to spend to get a good one.

I use a caliper on a daily basis and need one that will hold up.

Thanks.

Savage

Starrett, Brown & Sharp, Mitutoyo, SPI, Fowler, in about that order. Get most of those from MSC Supply

http://www.mscdirect.com

McMaster-Carr I'm sure has them also.

Art

I've had one of the inexpensive digital calipers from ebay for a few months. I must have gotten a bad one because it eats batteries like crazy.

If one wanted a good digital caliper, what are some recommendations for brand and retail outlet? And, what can I expect to spend to get a good one.

I use a caliper on a daily basis and need one that will hold up.

Thanks.

Savage