brmax

Leather storage Tubes

I could sure use your help with this storage question.  I am looking to use some of the form tubes as future leather hide storage. These are the cardboard types used in concrete applications. I have seen it mentioned breifly in historical searches. Although to my knowledge I haven't found some best lengths.  

So in my “general” future hide storage needs what can be some best lengths for these tubes Im to cut these. The typical I purchase is 12’ ft. These Im interested in also are 8” and 6” diameters.

Is it possible some of you can give me any tips on this, I really appreciate it.

Thank you

Floyd

I cut them to 4' and use 8" diameter. They hold several loosely rolled sides and allow them to be inserted deeply enough to avoid dust and light but still be easily accessed.

Hey, a big thanks to ya!

I can always get some great ideas here. One just has to open a door or re-stir the pot some. But its worth it.

For now I have some flat storage under table top.  In any of the materials we can work with there are short pieces and or other types, they could be rolled. So I think here also some tubes are going to be a big help.

So doing some smaller lengths with tubes first. Jus because it’s the available area I have, as most of us have so considering some lengths. I have several length options, yet know for some smaller pieces a tub is no doubt the ticket. 

Here are a few measures for discussion lengths. So areas under this 8’ square table. It has some cutout for machine areas so only gives these following options. Anyway theres 32” depth, for consideration (32d x 36L & 23h). In the other area theres a 42” depth and the mentioned 8’ if I use this other direction, this area also has  23” height.

Good day

Floyd

Edited by brmax

If it were me, I'd get larger diameter if you have the room so you don't have to cram thick hides into a small tube.

Excellent point, Its for sure I don't need to fight the curling any more than when  shipped. What diameter and length seemed to work good in your opinion.

Honestly the tubes really work great. They have helped my plywood boxed areas big time,  just flat upgraded the organization. Eliminating smashed rolls etc..

Some of the larger as well as thicker leather I would like to store flat, for now that area is pretty much ready. A lot of thought is in cutting up this last  8” 12’ foot tube from a last week purchase.

I finally got around to making some 6 foot lengths, these for other materials in their normal 60” lengths, both 6” and 8” diameter. So nothing set in stone in shorter tube lengths. These that are needed for trimmed down leather hides yet.

I would rather try to keep in mind a leather type so, some separation maybe a good tip. In that I could use another area of the table or do some tubd tags I suppose. Thanks again for the tip

Good day

Floyd

Edited by brmax