OnceFoundCo

What Model Kingsley is this?

Hi, 

Hoping someone can tell me what Model Kingsley this is? I think it's an M-50 but not 100% sure. 

Thx

20180504_102023.jpg

@OnceFoundCo I have 2 similar machines and the closest looking one says Mk2 (65watt) and the other says M60 and is 60 watt.

Thanks @RockyAussie

Are you looking to sell any of your machines? I'm in Adelaide

Cheers

I do have a few (5 of different types) but as I am a bit out of the normal market/manufacturing area up here I like to always have some backup and 3 are always on the go. If you care to show me the type of stamping or the variety of uses you need to do I may be able to give you a good solution.  For an example the Kingsley machines here pictured are very limited in height and can be useless if you need to emboss anything thicker than about 1 1/2". Lids on boxes for products can be a no go for example. Lack of depth for a product to go back into can also be a problem. How large a stamp do you need to emboss? If you only require a stamp less than 2" then a drill press can give you more room for adjustment than many embossing machines can but a heated block for holding the stamps would need to be sorted. I have previously experimented with this and found my tests promising but haven't really needed to do much more with it do to having other machine alternatives already. If I were to take this a little further I would make a block to hold a 60 or 80 watt soldering iron or just buy the cylinder elements in that wattage and hook it up to a light dimmer switch which I have done at times for some other similar projects as seen in the last picture for ironing in the edging on the croc belts.

Drill press embossing 1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The heat was not enough for the foil embossing above due to me just using a heat gun to warm the block and guessing incorrectly it was hot enough.

DSC07980.JPG

Note in the middle of picture in the background a box made to hold the light dimmer switch. Although I have been using these for many years the risks of doing it are all yours if you do. I have every fancy micro cut out switch in the system and although they have never been set off doing this I would still make sure they were in operation in case.

Thanks @RockyAussie

The purpose of the machine is fairly basic. I'm looking to blind emboss leather dummy straps (example attached) with the name of baby or initials etc. The thickness of this leather is about 1.8-2.0mm. The leather is veg tan, however, not natural, it will be sealed and dyed... that's why I think a heated machine is best to leave a quality impression. 

On a seperate note, there's a fantastic video here 

Any advice you can give would be great. 

Cheers,

iap_640x640.1439132233_7wzuxv4x.jpg

Do you have letter sets already? The letters in the video by Harry Rogers will not take much, if any heat which is a shame. I am just wondering if a laser might not be a better answer for you at this stage if you don't have a letter set already.:dunno: Last time I looked you could get a 40 watt laser for just over $500 here in Aus. Maybe try H Leffler and sons in Melbourne as they have a notice board for second hand stuff there or at least they did when I was last there. http://www.lefflerleather.com.au/leffler_contact.htm

Thanks @RockyAussie.

I'll have a look at H Leffler. 

I looked into laser, however, it's not the effect I'm looking for. I don't have letter sets already, however, I've identified some suppliers that can create letters in a certain font for a reasonable price. And from my research, most machines are compatible with letters, even if the type holder needs some minor customising. 

Appreciate your help.

Cheers,

14 hours ago, OnceFoundCo said:

I've identified some suppliers that can create letters in a certain font for a reasonable price

You mentioned a machine type elsewhere  and that company make letter sets in the US as well. I ordered in a set from them last year and they are crap in comparison to the kingsley letter sets. They are very roughly finished and the lead content is so high that just packing them into a container to separate the letters out made my fingers all black. Probably why I am going madder than usual. They are so bad and soft I will not use them.

Thanks @RockyAussie I was looking at some Brass ones Etsy - for example https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/275515814/interchangeable-alphabet-letter-stamps?ref=unav_listing-other-8

This is all new to me though so will be good to get your opinion. 

Cheers,

33 minutes ago, OnceFoundCo said:

Thanks @RockyAussie I was looking at some Brass ones Etsy - for example https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/275515814/interchangeable-alphabet-letter-stamps?ref=unav_listing-other-8

This is all new to me though so will be good to get your opinion. 

Cheers,

The stamps look nice and deep and should therefore be good to use.....But the second review there is a worry. 6 letters in the block would not be enough but more the worry of only 1 of each letter for that price. There is many an occasion where you need 2 to sometimes three of the same letter in a name. Have a look in a baby name book. The letter sets I have generally have 3 or more letters of each. I would look for Kingsley letter sets on ebay along the line you would like.There are quite a few. I did see some Kingsley machines pretty cheap as well.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kingsley-Hot-Foil-Stamping-Machine-with-gold-silver-foil/192529296915?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D50543%26meid%3D5b4415a34463466a90d9b82875b690aa%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D263653689847%26itm%3D192529296915&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Match that with this to get any letter holder you could want https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kingsley-Hot-Foil-Stamping-Machine-with-gold-silver-foil/192529296915?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D50543%26meid%3D5b4415a34463466a90d9b82875b690aa%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D263653689847%26itm%3D192529296915&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

And here for an example is one of the fonts from Kingsley and look down and you will see a few others quite affordable. Note the 3+letters https://www.ebay.com/itm/KINGSLEY-HOT-FOIL-MACHINE-TYPE-FONT-LETTERS-NEWPORT-MONOGRAM-SET-SORTED/253602297923?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D50543%26meid%3Dd6728ff3da8341eb8ccf5c7332fbd94a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D11%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D352346329350%26itm%3D253602297923&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Regards Brian

Thanks Brian @RockyAussie

Funnily enough, I've been watching that Kingsley on ebay. Do you think an old machine like that will have enough pressure to get deep enough into the leather. I think these machines were only made for gold foiling, until the pneumatic ones come into production??

Very good point about the letters. I'm usually fairly logical, but I didn't consider that. 

The second link you included is a duplicate of the Kingsley on ebay. Are you able to send the one you were referring to....   Match that with this to get any letter holder you could want...

Cheers,

George

7 minutes ago, OnceFoundCo said:

Funnily enough, I've been watching that Kingsley on ebay. Do you think an old machine like that will have enough pressure to get deep enough into the leather. I think these machines were only made for gold foiling, until the pneumatic ones come into production??

Very good point about the letters. I'm usually fairly logical, but I didn't consider that. 

The second link you included is a duplicate of the Kingsley on ebay. Are you able to send the one you were referring to....   Match that with this to get any letter holder you could want...

Cheers,

George

Sorry My bad....https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kingsley-Hot-Stamping-Machine-Type-Holder-LOT-fits-a-single-Line-Machine/173132396868?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D50543%26meid%3D5560113a07d24188899cb4ad89fe337a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D9%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D253584348622%26itm%3D173132396868&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I think with the letter sets it will work very well for pressure and definition. I do have a pneumatic one with a timer and all and to be honest it is in storage as it takes too long in use and the transport system for lining up is too slow as well. By hand pressure you can get a feel for what is right pretty quickly and the mucking around and testing to set how many seconds and how much air pressure etc are just a pitb. For what you are wanting I would go with the Kingsley. If you need to do very large numbers of repetitive steps then the one I have I could part with. You are welcome to come up and spend a few hours learning how to do this embossing if you like.

Brian

That's very helpful. It's been hard for me to get a clear understanding about the pressure element. 

Do you happen to know anyone in Adelaide that I could get some professional training from? Unfortunately with a 6month old and 3 year old, I won't be traveling anytime soon :(

Cheers,

11 hours ago, OnceFoundCo said:

I cant say whether it is good or not as I am not sure if the handle would give you the leverage for good embossing into leather. Take into account the voltage difference 110 against 240 if you haven't already. There is a member on here from Adelaide @dikman who is quite helpful and may know someone there he could suggest could help with some training on embossing.

Thanks mate. 

Appreciate your help,

Cheers,

I've actually just jumped on your website. 

Love your creations. 

Do you work with crocodile leather only?

I'm looking for a local designer to create some custom designs for our launch collection.

If not, can you recommend any ateliers or workshop designers that can create in semi-volume qualities?

Cheers,

1 hour ago, OnceFoundCo said:

I've actually just jumped on your website. 

Love your creations. 

Do you work with crocodile leather only?

I'm looking for a local designer to create some custom designs for our launch collection.

If not, can you recommend any ateliers or workshop designers that can create in semi-volume qualities?

Cheers,

I have sent you a PM. 95% of the products we make is with crocodile for a variety of croc farms and such but we do use other leathers as well for other people such as the leather ring boxes for this customer https://www.amonie.com.au/collections/leather-boxes/products/light-grey-leather

and pouches for the prisons and so on. If you can fill me on the products you want I may be able to help further one way or the other.

Brain

Here is a link on where I show how the ring boxes are made for this customer. I keep a stock of them here and monogram them almost daily for her.