ChazJ

Barry King Mauls

New to leather and I've been using a cheap 14 oz maul which loosens after a few strikes either when tooling or punching. I'm looking for a much better maul. I have seen Barry King mauls but I can't decide on the weight. I' going to be punching belt ends and holes, but also tooling with it. Any suggestions? And with that in mind, if anyone is interested in selling a used Barry King maul, let me know. Thanks in advance

Have you tried a little locktite on the threads of your current maul? That may help. 

I would buy one in the weight you want to tool with. Then I would use something cheaper for strap ends that is heavier. Most people use more than one maul.

I have three that I have aquired and a fourth that I have given away. And, I don't even do tooling.

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Have you tried a little locktite on the threads of your current maul? That may help. 

I would buy one in the weight you want to tool with. Then I would use something cheaper for strap ends that is heavier. Most people use more than one maul.

I have three that I have aquired and a fourth that I have given away. And, I don't even do tooling.

Agreed - A good maul for tooling, and something heavier for punches.  I actually prefer a dead-blow hammer for punching - dead cheap at most home supply stores.

-Bill

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'l try locktite.

I picked up my rawhide maul from wrising.com.  The price was more than reasonable and it was exactly what I was looking for.  I was impressed with it when it arrived.  Lot of value for the price.