Sign in to follow this  
Byoung

which rivets?

Ok, so I seem to be doing ok with my project on my carpenters tool bags and I will be needing to do some rivet work soon but there are so may types , what it the most durable type to use. I was told to shy away from the rapid rivets as the were not that durable so now I am left with either solid or tubular what should I use?

Thanks for all the help

Bert

I use #9 brass rivets with burrs when I want something to last past the next comming, but they are hard to put in and harder to remove. Copper burr rivets are much easier. Stainless Steel tubular rivets are also quite strong. On the burr rivets, you clip them off to the length you need, with burr rivets you have to have a size about an 8th inch longer than the thickness. I used to use the jiffy rivets on boy scout projects but the scouts would pop them in a jiffy (pun intended) so we started using tubular rivets or chicago screws (with loctite®) or in rare cases burr rivets for heavy duty stuff; no more failures.

Art

Ok, so I seem to be doing ok with my project on my carpenters tool bags and I will be needing to do some rivet work soon but there are so may types , what it the most durable type to use. I was told to shy away from the rapid rivets as the were not that durable so now I am left with either solid or tubular what should I use?

Thanks for all the help

Bert