Just a simple little clutch for Mrs Wedgetail on her birthday.

It is made from cognac coloured glazed Kangaroo skin, with a chrome tanned kangaroo tassel. The interior is lined with pigskin, with a card pocket made from the same kangaroo as the outer.

The outside is saddle stitched at 3.38mm spacing using Wuta pricking irons, and 1mm black braided poly... would have been better to use .6 or .8.

Edges are painted with black edge paint, my first attempt using edge paint instead of burnishing! Easy enough to do, takes longer, but looks great I think.

If you're interested, the template for this came from Wuta which you can find online. The templates are good and accurate... instructions would be good for new leathercrafters but with a bit of a 'cuppa and a think' and maybe watching a bit of youtube, most should be able to figure it out.

It also called for some specific thickness of leather on the templates, but since veg roo is stiff I used thinner stuff and it worked out fine.

I normally make my own templates, but blew up my laser :(

Enjoy, and let me know what you think.

2018-05-13 19.31.42.jpg

2018-05-13 19.36.58.jpg

Great job. I love Wuta products. His higher quality stuff is top notch and very reasonable. 

Very nice work!

I just completed my first little 'clutch purse' with a zipper:)

Question for you:  Is the zipper difficult to open and close???? Mine is and I used identical methods to attach the thing! When I rubbed the purse with Mink oil, the zipper worked better but not by much. I will post a few pictures of my creation in a few minutes:)

Beautiful job:)

Sam

Thanks guys,

Yeah I love love love my pricking irons from wuta, very good quality and a much better tool than the price point suggests.

The templates are pretty good too, except I wasn't a fan of the tassel template. The parts are all the correct sizes, but I'd have expected the slots to be fully cut like a hair comb so you don't have to measure the cuts and do them one at a time like normal... maybe acrylic isn't a suitable medium for that? I dunno... maybe I'll try my own when the ol' laser is back up and running.

Zippers, ah, zippers... they my nemesis.

If anyone knows a good supplier of zippers that either is in or will ship to australia for reasonable money, let me know!

Quality aside, zippers can be tempermental little buggers. If it's not aligned just right they can bunch up and then you have to hold the zip at just the right angle to get it sliding easily.

This one, I got right and it opens easy enough... but better quality zipper = better experience for the end user.