WildHorseAmber

What kind of leather should I use for tack making?

Hello all! I've recently taken in interested in leathercraft and would love some advice from others as to where I should start, particularly when it comes to figuring out which leather I should be buying. 

So far I've just been practicing carving, stitching, and dyeing and have made a tooled passport cover which some veg tanned leather I bought on Amazon -- which I will never do again! The leather was stiff and very difficult to stamp and carve. It almost seemed like there was some kind of coating on it as it. I see now why it was so cheap... 

As an avid horse person, my interests are in definitely tack making, so I'd like to start making simple projects such as wither straps, bronc halters, spur straps, and eventually headstalls.

I've seen a few people suggest harness leather for projects such as these, I also see "bridle leather" available on several online leather supply stores. Is there much of a difference? What kind of thickness should I be using for these projects? Can anyone recommend the best type (and brand) of leather for projects like this that won't break the bank? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

I use Wicket & Craig or Sedgwick bridle leather for my English tack work. 9/10 oz. And split it if I need something lighter.

Back when I was making tack and particularly headstalls I used Wicket and Craig Utility skirting split to 7/8.  Using Barge cement and stitching I bond two layers flesh to flesh yielding a 16Oz. product. Carved, tooled, plain, fancy anything you want and because of the 16Oz weight it is/was durable and bullet proof. I guess I've made something over 400 headstalls, and breast  collars, saddle bags, 100s of spur leathers. On the lighter weight items I used the same leather spilt 2/3 for the lining.  The customers really appreciated the "fully leather lined" products. Also used it for the yokes and trim on chaps and chinks

Paul

Edited by sheathmaker