scubadiverberry

Need to know where to buy leather where I live

I did leather craft in a high school class many years ago.  I bought some 16x64 #21 needles for my sewing machine and want to do some projects (make stuff).  My question, since not too many people are into crafts anymore (most people would rather buy made in China from Walmart), where is the closest place to Orland, CA I can purchase good quality leather and tooling?  I don't think I want to buy off eBay; 'cause, it's site unseen .... Hopefully, there is a place closer than Sacramento.

I have some 238 thread, and bonded T-90 bonded polyester thread.  What types of threads a used for leather?  In high school we used leather thread, and everything was seen by hand.  Just curious ...

Realistically Sac-town may be your closest option.  If you ever go out to wine country though I would check out Napa's Hide House.  More expensive, but way better quality and nice people.

If you buy leather online don't go through Ebay, use one of the vendors who advertises on this site.  Or purchase from the classifieds here.

When it comes to thread it depends on what you are doing.  Is the construction by hand or machine?  What are you making?  Is the thread making a fashion statement as well, or is it just holding everything together?  You might want to choose a project and see what materials other people used to make theirs and go from there.

- SunLynx

Well, first you need to figure out what kind of thing you'll be doing, so you can know if you need tooling leather, or harness leather, or leather for shoes or bags. 
I did a quick Google search and found some businesses out in your part of the state that might help you out. 
Give people like this a call, and find out where they get their leather, or if you can get leather from them:

• Judd Miller Custom Saddlery
  • 19350 Balis Rd, Red Bluff, CA 96080
  • (530) 529-6615

I see the previous poster has already recommended the Hide House for you. It's further than Sacramento, but here's the full contact info:

• The Hide House Quality Leather & Hides For All Industries
  • Po Box 509, Napa, CA 94559
  • (888) 849-2816

I don't know either of these businesses, nor have I used them for supplies (and I don't get money by advertising for them, either!)

I have bought leather from Wickett & Craig and Springfield Leather and have been very happy with quality, price and service.

Gary

We aren't really close to CA, but we ship world wide. Check out our website below and we also have a email news letter that goes out that displays some new things going on and deals. Newly added we have weekly flash sales, we send out a separate news letter to show those off. Also, you can check out the banners at the top of the site for us and others that help support this website. 

http://springfieldleather.com/