Wattspd

Help identify type of leather

That's weird I wasn't able to post text in my op.  Anyways I need help trying to identify the type of leather in the picture.  

The leather pictured is very soft and has some stretch to it.  It smells just like a baseball glove.  It's thick I'm guessing around 14-16oz.  I know some if it is made in Europe and it's cut from a whole hide on a turn table to get long lengths.  

Any help would be appreciated. 

Edited by Wattspd

Hard to say for certain.  Many leathers stretch, so that isn't really an indicator.  Glove smell might indicate chrome tannage.  The fact that the surfaces have a finish applied, like a coating, would also lead me to believe it is chrome-tanned.  What color is the raw edge?  If it is bluish, it is chrome-tanned.  Where did you get the piece you were able to smell?

It has a very strong bb glove smell.  The leather is very supple and soft.  As far as the stretch goes if I were to compare it to say a piece of latigo that is 12-14oz, the latigo is firm and has little stretch. The pictured leather is spongy and will stretch much more than latigo.  

The side tint is very blue grayish almost white.  The leash is from k9 tactical gear and they make all of their leashes from the same material.  They even offer it in lengths of 20+ feet.  I recently learned how they do that from a video from Europe of them making it.  

I went to euro-joe.com and found where they sell spools of leather for making leashes.  They call it chrome leather.  So chrome-tanned.  The way you describe the leather it is definitely chrome tannage.  If you are wanting to buy the exact leather, best way to do that is to politely K9 where they source their leather.  They may or may not tell you as some folks want to keep it a secret and make it harder for competition to reverse-engineer.  Horween makes leather for baseball gloves.  You could always reach out to them.

Edited by Tugadude

Most likely cow leather if it's that thick. Unsplit cow leather is very thick as such as it is the most common as well. I bet on cow leather.

I would say it is chrome tanned as well. I made some stuff with chrome tanned leather and it has a strong BB glove smell also.