OLDNSLOW

can old thread cause problems and just what

is it take to be old thread and does the storing process have anything to do with the life expectancy of thread.  I have to imagine that most if not all thread comes off a boat from somewhere else, so I have to imagine that it is truly hard to tell how old the thread really is.  My sewing machine sits in the garage and so does my thread so it goes through all of the ambient temp changes that we are subject to here TN, and for the most part some of my thread is now reaching 2 years of age but some is much newer.  Now my thread is kept in the big freezer bags so that dust and dirt is kept to a minimum but I have to imagine that it still is subject to aging, but what is actually old?

The other part to a problem that I have noticed is that the older thread gives my machine fits, it wont sew correctly, it will skip threads, it will make my machine squeak, and it breaks thread, so I have to imagine that this is again an indicator that the thread is old and needing replacement, but what again constitutes old in terms of thread when it may have sat on a boat somewhere then on the sellers shelves for a while.

So how often do some of you rotate your thread and have you found that when a thread is showing signs of aging, does it start to make your machine go all wonky and start to act up and not sew right, or am I the only one that has had that kind of problem, I cant imagine that I am the only one to have these kinds of problems and hoping that Wiz and OnSUwe will be 2 of the responders to this set of questions as they are probably the most knowing in these areas, but looking for all those that have stories to share and methods of storage of consumables.

Thanks

OnS

Ron

Yep, definitely has a shelf life, but I think more likely that your thread is drying out.  Wrapping it when not in use DOES help.  I've a had a few spools go "off" -- the heavier threads (277 and up)I set off for when I have a project needing hand sewn, the lighter weights get offered to someone or pitched out ... nature of the game.  At $10-12 (for the smaller weights) ... I figure by the time it's out the door it's paid for itself a bunch.   

I don't have a "lube pot" on mine, but I suspect that would at least ease the problem, but not likely eliminate it.

Edited by JLSleather

...in a related direction - by lubing every new spool with a good dose of silicone spray will this speed up or slow down the problems with aging thread?  My gut feeling is the silicone helps prevent dried out thread from sticking and causing tension issues, but I've never heard anyone with first hand knowledge of it.  For now I'll keep spraying every spool as it's purchased - you can ask me in ten years how it's working out! Lol

Mine does run through a lube pot but it does not seem to alter the problem it is still there.  If I have to pull the thread out to change colors what ever the lead portion is,  is pulled back out of the oil pot and wound back around the spool it is soaked in oil, but it does not seem to help the problem, I guess trying to be a cheap arse and trying to make the spool last is causing me problems in the long run. 

It’s been my experience that old thread can most definatly cause issues. Tension, shredding at the needle (no burrs present on the needle) and pigtailing have all shown themselves. On a side note, cheap thread (mostly from the orient) can also create havoc. 

Ya that's part of what Is going on in addition to a whole variety of things that may be caused by the older thread.