sfchaney1

Are custom stamps larger?

I started leatherwork this year after having a boxset from Tandy given to me 35 years ago for Christmas. I've learned a lot from this site and videos from the internet that helped a lot. I replaced the fenders on my saddle and decided I would tool them. Of course the rest of the saddle looks plain now, but who cares the horse and cattle don't. I only own Craftools from Tandy but after I watched a video of a saddle maker using his tools it appeared his background and camo tools were much larger. I realize they were custom made most likely, but am I correct that I probably did see much larger tools? Like many of you I already invested lots of cash in Tandy tools and the thought of ordering custom tools or should I say handmade worries me that I will order what I am not wanting. I've researched some different sites for ordering tools and still wasn't sure what I would be ordering.

I realize the saddle maker was an expert and made it look easy to begin with. I just felt that I beat on my little background tool for days is why I even bring this issue up. I should mention I was recovering from two surgeries on my left arm and that was the hand I had to hold with. That alone has a lot to do with my question. Even now my hand goes numb but I have been told many people have that issue.

I look forward to your advice and comments.

Doug from Ft. Sill, Oklahoma.

The clue is the word 'custom'  ;)

You can order any style and size of tool when ordering a custom made one

Others will be along soon and give you directions to custom tool makers/suppliers in the US

When it comes to tools, there as many variables as there are leather workers.  Usually, saddle makers have the largest sized stamping tools available in the range of tools due simply to the size of saddles.  This is not always the case, and seems to be less so today than say, 50 years ago.  This is likely because back then, Craftool were the main supplier of tools and custom makers were not as prevalent.  

The Craftool camouflage 455 is more than an inch wide, so its HUGE compared to most of the other camo tools made even by Tandy back then.  Now days, I don't know anyone who makes a camo that big, but old craftool had an entire range of larger sized tools which are still available on eBay or from private sellers.  They are also great value for money as the most expensive of them is 15 bucks, whereas pro tools usually start around 30 dollars and go up.  

Now, guys like Barry King and Wayne Jueschke make several sizes of all their tools in order to meet the demands of modern leatherworkers while Craftool is lagging behind a little bit.  Earlier, I mentioned pro tools.  I consider makers like Bob Beard, Barry King, Clay Miller and Wayne (And others) pro tool makers.  They are far superior to modern Tandy offerings (Not so much with the old craftool as they are quite good) in terms of materials, crispness of impression and variety of designs, ESPECIALLY in the geometric tools area.  

Tool purchasing can be a HUGE investment if you're not careful, and I speak from experience.  I like quality tools, and the results I get from them,  however I have 10 or 20 times the tools I need.  I bought a lot in the beginning because I didn't know what kind of tooling I'd prefer and I dabbled in everything.  So I have a full Sheridan set from Barry King, a reasonably full set of figure carving tools from Bob Beard and a few tools from Wayne because they're amazing.

All of that being said, if I knew then what I knew now, I'd have quite a few more old pre-letter craftool tools and a lot less of the others.  Not because they're no good, but because my style of carving has developed to the point where I can manipulate fewer tools in a wider variety of ways to achieve the same effects as a lot of the tools in my racks that now go unused for the most part.

Now, more to the point.  If you know what you want to do and you've identified a need for larger tools, and you've looked at the makers I've listed and can't find what you need, then it might be time for some full on custom tools.  Backgrounders are tricky though because the larger the tool face, the more difficult it becomes to strike the tool and get a good impression.  So then you need a heavier maul or you need to really watch the heck out of it with your smaller one.  

My guess is that you'll find what you need already in existence if you look at only those makers listed above. 

Good luck!

Hey thanks a bunch! I think you answered my question fully. I have already learned from others that sharpening makes a huge difference when using things like a beveller especially my older craftools. I can't imagine what a difference a Professional custom tool will perform like! I think I'll start finding out now. Thank you!