Jack1970

Barry King Bevelers

Ok folks, I just got some new Barry King bevelers and I seem to be having trouble running them.  They're just the standard course bevelers but they are steeper than what I was using before.  They also seem to be a little courser.  All of this is fine but when I'm trying to run them, it seems like they stick to the leather.  It's like I can't just move them across a line like my craftool pro bevelers.  Is there some kind of a trick that I'm not aware of here?  It almost feels like the first time I've ever beveled anything.  I know that I'll like them once I can get the hang of running them smoothly.  Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Jack

Jack

Iagree they are night and day different than the craft tools.  They cut deeper and make very distinct bevels.  Give them a little chance and you will love them.  If not send them my way:) 

I took a class from Cary Schwarz last year.  I ask him what tools I should spend money on, and his first answer was good bevelers.  And Barry makes very nice bevelers.

Kelly

On 7/4/2018 at 9:02 PM, Jack1970 said:

Ok folks, I just got some new Barry King bevelers and I seem to be having trouble running them.  They're just the standard course bevelers but they are steeper than what I was using before.  They also seem to be a little courser.  All of this is fine but when I'm trying to run them, it seems like they stick to the leather.  It's like I can't just move them across a line like my craftool pro bevelers.  Is there some kind of a trick that I'm not aware of here?  It almost feels like the first time I've ever beveled anything.  I know that I'll like them once I can get the hang of running them smoothly.  Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Jack

This will sound counter intuitive, but take your bevelers and run them on a strop board or very fine sand paper to take some of the sharpness off of the checkering.  Bob Beard told me to do the same with the bevelers I bought from him and I refused for a while on account of the idea of taking sandpaper to my new tools.  Once I worked up the courage, I did a few light swipes against my finger holding the sandpaper.  It didn't take many passes, and I tested it every few swipes.  Now I can run them smoothly and there is no perceptible difference in how the checkering looks on the leather.

Thanks a million to both of you!  I ran them across my strop a few times and that totally solved the issue for me!  I would have never thought of that.  I still like my craftool pro bevelers and will probably still use them on some things but these Barry King bevelers really make my carving pop out of the leather like crazy!  

Thanks again!!

Jack

Glad it helped.  As you get into finer detail and more intricate work, your BK bevelers will become invaluable.