MisterMicroscope

Just purchased a Singer 211g166. Dream Come True

Ive been making leather wallets and tool holsters by hand for years. I read here to look for a singer 211. 

My dreams came true. 

I purchased a singer 211g166 this weekend for 150.00. 

It comes with its table. Its old clutch motor has been replaced with a brand new 3/4 horse servo system. 

Drove 1 1/2 hours each way to get it  

Ive never used a sewing machine before. 

Whats the first thing i should do?

ED0834C1-F5AA-454D-9D31-F96D2AA476C7.jpeg

A7ED7348-9518-4FE4-A12C-32A0427A1F5F.jpeg

Edited by MisterMicroscope

He also threw in a singer 331k for free. 

I would like to see this one. Im in North Jersey. 

6C7E9D78-E91D-4DB8-B4B3-CC18A3D5921B.jpeg

Both machines he plugged in and showed me that they work perfect. 

He gave me the manuals for both. 

Im in the process of reading the 211. 

E2789C1B-61B0-4F11-9C10-F209BBBD8CC2.jpeg

I want to sew small but thick leather projects like tool holsters and heavy duty wallets.  

I searched this site and another user said the singer 211 can handle # 22 needles and 138 thread?

Nice find if you are happy:)

I shy away from used stuff of any kind as I have the tendency to buy other peoples junk, like the time I bought a 'broken' trumpet at a garage sale for $8---I know, DUMB:)

I will be buying a new heavy duty leather sewing machine in the near future so I won't have to hand sew everything I create:)

I have lots of people that want to buy my stuff but my fear is that as soon as I advertise, I may get an order large enough that it isn't practical to hand sew anymore!

The trouble is that there are so many different ones on the market that 'sensory overload' kicks in and makes a decision difficult, because EVERYONE makes the best machine:)

I am within 60 miles of 2 retailers that sell them and they both are really good at helping customers make good decisions so it won't be long:)

Take care and let us see some of your machine sown projects:)

Sam

computerdoctor   consider this machine.  I am saving up for it.  https://www.sailrite.com/Sewing-Machines/Industrial-Sewing-Machines/Sailrite-Fabricator-Sewing-Machine

great support and it's a good quality machine if you can do without a free arm.

Congrats first thing you should do is get scrap and practice, watch a ton of YouTube videos and read the leather sewing machine forum. I did days of research before I bought a Juki 1541s. I just picked up a old singer 241-12 from craigslist. Your from North Jersey I work right in Allentown NJ.

5 hours ago, Mark59 said:

computerdoctor   consider this machine.  I am saving up for it.  https://www.sailrite.com/Sewing-Machines/Industrial-Sewing-Machines/Sailrite-Fabricator-Sewing-Machine

Looks like a quality Machine Mark! Thanks. I spent a lot of time on their site:)

Sam:)

6 hours ago, Mark59 said:

Thats a real nice machine but for the home hobbiest, 1400.00 is a far cry from the 150.00 i spent. 1400 is both arms. 

I need more practice with hand stuff, use machines quite a bit having a sewing, alterations and leather business with my wife, she if full time, I am part time, been at an iron foundry for 25 years now, leather is my retirement hobby, lol.  Please feel free to see our site@ www.stitchntimemarinette.com  Check oils, belts, drives, look at your stitch timing and start slowly, turn down speed on servo drive, it will help, have fun...