fmarabate

Creaser: Alcohol vs Electric

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I apologize if this is a question that has been asked before. I did do a search but did not find the answer. My question, is there any significant difference between using a creaser with an alcohol burner or an electrical setup? Does one work better than the other? Do you see better results or get a better finished product by using one method over the other? 

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

-Frank

I haven't tried the electric, but went with the alcohol as it was cheaper, I haven't had any issues with it, just have to remember to watch your lamp when moving around and not sit your creaser down on plastic etc...I use the lamp for my Maker's Mark and other stamps on leather that doesn't take water or impressions very well so it's served multiple purposes for me.

Is this something that you put together yourself or did you purchase it as a kit; i.e. burner and creaser tool? I figure the alcohol option would be cheaper, but I have not found anything for sale.

Well, one advantage of the electric one is that is should hold a constant temperature and if you ever work with the same type of leather in the future you will know how hot you need to run it.

I am planing to put together an electric creaser  on the cheap with some spare parts, some ebay parts and some from a local electric shop. Hopefully I will write up a tutorial by the end of month, going on a small vacation this Friday so when I come back.

2 hours ago, fmarabate said:

Is this something that you put together yourself or did you purchase it as a kit; i.e. burner and creaser tool? I figure the alcohol option would be cheaper, but I have not found anything for sale.

i bought the creaser and burner and denatured alcohol all on amazon, but separately...

I bought the alcohol creaser, and promptly burned some leather, not knowing how hot the thing really was.  Electric would reduce that issue.  Also, if you are doing a lot of creasing, the electric would not need to be continually reheated, allowing longer work runs.  

Electric has this silly cord hanging off the back that the manual does not.  Electric is much more expensive.  

Manual requires alcohol, and probably a wick or two over time.

Price is obvious.

I still want an electric.

YinTx