David Bright

making patterns with the computer

It has been 7 years since this thread started. Has anyone made any progress on this, or is anyone still interested in it? Did you find that it was to big a task to complete? I would LOVE to have the stamps on my computer. I might just start on this myself. PLEASE let me know what happened.

Thanks

Dan

I fooled around with this a bit in Adobe Photoshop

I've been playing with a 3-D printer to make pieces for stamping... Here is a Font from Photoshop that I did a name on a dog collar on...

post-46133-0-73874200-1401079437_thumb.j

Edited by Dirt4fun

Having a little experience in the graphics field, I wanted to offer my thoughts(2 cents worth)on this subject as well.

All the programs mentioned (with the exception of Inkscape) are expensive to buy and can be daunting at best to use.

If it needs to be vector graphics, for resizing without loss, then I would also recommend Inkscape as

your best bet and it's free.

For simple image manipulation I use Irfanview (also free) like slight resizing, cropping or rotating. For

those of you who are inclined to more complex programs, may I suggest GIMP with is basically the free open

source version of PS. I like to take a picture, posterise it to black and white or use one of the many tools

or filters to create a linedrawing effect for use as patterns. For making the B&W images for tool impressions,

the idea of creating a "brush" is intriguing. The brush can then be used to make circles, lines, patterns and

even rotating brushes.

I for one would love to see a repository for these images. Sure would make layout a lot easier. Spacing issues could

easily be resolved to make your stamping come out even without the gaps at the end you sometimes get. Interesting idea.

Edited by Fonzarellis

Hi all! First post for me.

This has been something I have been very interested in. I took a few minutes and imported some tooling impressions into Inkscape, then used the "trace bitmap" function. The result is pretty rough, but definitely still useful for experimenting with tooling design.

Here is a sample:

tooling-vectors.jpg

Using "duplicate", "flip", and the "alignment" functions in Inkscape took me about 20 seconds to make the simple pattern above.

Edited by Jeep1967