taketothetrees

artisanleather.co.uk - feedback and reviews?

While still looking for good leathercraft tool shops I stumbled across artisanleather.co.uk - They seem to offer a wide range of tools, including Tandy's Craftool items. They also stock strap end punches that are half the price of others I have seen. Has anyone any experience of using tools from this supplier? It almost looks too good to be true... 

Thank you.

I thought I had Surfed t'Net and found all the leathercraft suppliers in Britain, though not necessarily bought from all of them, but Artisan is one that I've missed

There is, of course, no way of telling how good or reliable they are, but then again there is no reason to suspect there is anything wrong with them - and there is only one way to find out

I suggest you order one or two low cost items and see how it goes; then try a bigger order if it all goes OK

I notice a few things about them, though they would not necessarily affect their reliability. Most of their leather seems to be ready trimmed, which I'm not keen on, I would prefer to have a whole piece and make my own selection on the shape & pattern. They sell seconds awls for £5, which is good value if you are willing to do some fettling yourself. They have a decent range of linen thread, which I prefer to synthetic - I might place an order myself

A lot of the products they sell come from Ivan in Taiwan. (www.ivan.tw). It looks to be the Taiwanese equivalent of Tandy,.

Having bought a number of items of h/w and some leather strip from them, I've found Artisan is very helpful and responsive, and their pricing is competitive.

I've ordered a few bits from them before. For small amounts of leather they're probably fine but at £14/SQFT for tooling veg that's going to get expensive fast. I find that Le Prevo and Abbey have just as good prices on some tools, and much better on others.

I have brought a few items from Kathy at Artisan and she seems a nice lady and very helpfull. Unfortunatly she had to close down for a couple of months due to illness but back up operational now

My orders were all dispatched the same day as ordered and a vegg tan belt blank was first class leather suitable for tooling / stamping