CutThumb

Hi there, my first piece.

Hey all, I'm a hobby Wood Carver who felt the pull of leatherwork. Bought a couple of tools and a piece of 3mm veg tanned and, after much head scratching, decided to make a case to put the tools and dyes in. It's been a great learning experience, and I've done things I know I won't repeat. I'm pretty pleased with the case, and more importantly I really enjoyed the process. I'll keep at it, and keep coming here for inspiration and guidance. The standard is high, and I have makers envy every time I visit! 

By the way, the name is from a childhood accident, although I'm not immune from sticking the odd gouge through my left hand.

IMG_4316.JPG

Welcome and interesting name and case design but hey...open 'er up and lets see inside!

I am sure you will get folks suggesting you look into how to finish edges and give that a go on your next project.

If you liked making a case you could order the Tandy PDF set of the Stohlman's "Art of Making Leather Cases"... lots to learn in it and good design ideas as well.

Am I m sure we would envy your wood working so were even there... just keep making and sharing.

Hi and great work there bud =)

Considering the thickness of the leather, you really did a good job. For a case like that i would not go thicker than 2.5 and vegetable tanned none colored. That one you have takes quite the work so thumbs up for that =)

If you want to add things to the great model you have already i would say try experimenting with beveling the edges, and if you want to make a more stiff foundation you can try to watershape it ( fleshside ) and then heatgun dry it. Try it first on small pieces, but when you get the hang of it you can make really sharp edges.

Looking forward to more =)

Hi, and thanks! I dyed that myself, Fieblings oil Walnut, then some leather conditioner. 

One of the 'things I won't do again' is use 3mm for something like this, as it was hard work. I aim to get a beveller, although I might experiment with a set of Palm gouges I have. I used a gouge to remove some stock behind the folds. 

Ill look into that PDF, as I'd like to make some more cases. 

IMG_4318.JPG