raWorkshope

Converting triple feed machine to needle feed

I have a 111w style compound feed I'd like to convert to needle feed. I know I've seen a thread on here about the necessary parts and adjustments but I can't find it. I seem to recall a special conversion foot for the rear bar or you could use a 111W needle feed foot if you turned it sideways. Anyone recall the thread or can walk through the conversion?

30 minutes ago, dikman said:

Just curious why you'd want to do that?

For apparel. Easier to control plies and smoother operation. Bigger bobbins and bigger hooks than standard needle feed machines as well so we can push the thread size and stitch size. 

You should be able to just remove the front walking (or vibrating) foot and install a slotted needle feed presser foot on the rear presser bar. They come in two styles, so you don't really have to rotate the presser bar.

Below are pictures of two Singer style needle feed feet I have, showing the two different mounting orientation.

The left foot is one example of a slotted needle feed foot that can be installed on a Singer 111W155 without rotating the presser bar (Singer Part No. 240029, this one's made in W. Germany)  

IMG_1093.jpgIMG_1092.jpg

Edited by Uwe

Thank you for the images and part number. I can't find that part for less than $150 (assuming this is it - https://www.hendersonsewing.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=D57790854AC64DB69C18C7B9A0236E9B). 111W style are cheap and come with comp/edge guides. I need a set that would swap between plain open toe and edge guide., the tolerances on those slotted needle feed are just horrific. They are for double needle versions, anyways..

Will the rear presser bar stay down if the vibrating foot isn't touching material? I'dve thought I'd need to disconnect something.

Yes, the rear foot will stay down. It only lifts if the front foot presses against something.

$150 is indeed a lot for a Singer style presser foot, it seems. They may have some New-Old-Stock that, when it's gone, it'll be gone for good. I'd better store my precious Singer 240029 foot in a safe until I can find a buyer who can secure financing. 

I found one more alternative in my stash: an original Simanco USA two-part foot with top No. 93813 and bottom No. 203013, but they seem to be just as rare as the other foot. If I find any more I'll be able to retire early. 

I'm willing to let go of one of my super precious presser feet for $50 shipped within the US (send me a PM if interested.) 

Here's the picture of the second candidate (I have two, rear is new-old-stock, front is slightly used.) 

IMG_1096.jpg

56 minutes ago, Uwe said:

I'm willing to let go of one of my super precious presser feet for $50 shipped within the US (send me a PM if interested.) 

Let me stew on it.

You might like this super obscure subclass - I wonder if it'd be worth commissioning a run of those presser foot blocks to see if they'd sell on eBay. Might take too many years - https://www.ae-sewingmachines.co.uk/juki-dnu-1541-x55268

Edited by raWorkshope

4 hours ago, raWorkshope said:

For apparel. Easier to control plies and smoother operation. Bigger bobbins and bigger hooks than standard needle feed machines as well so we can push the thread size and stitch size. 

That makes sense, although with apparel I wouldn't have thought you'd need large size thread. As long as I'm always learning something new it means I'm still alive.:lol:

The 111 type needle feed machines also have a different needle plate and feed dog so not sure if it is satisfying when you only remove the center foot and put on a new foot. I don´t know - I haven´t tested it but this is the feed dog and need plate for a Singer 111 needle feed machine.

IMG_2350.JPG

IMG_2351.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

The machine I'm using takes standard single feed dogs and throat plate. I'll swap out for a wide four row needle feed feed dog. I agree those little feed dogs leave a little to be desired.

18 hours ago, dikman said:

That makes sense, although with apparel I wouldn't have thought you'd need large size thread. As long as I'm always learning something new it means I'm still alive.:lol:

It's decorative stitching, more than twice as large as actually necessary.

Just found out Juki Europe won't sell that presser foot block I posted for the X55268.

On 9/17/2018 at 8:55 PM, Uwe said:

$150 is indeed a lot for a Singer style presser foot, it seems. They may have some New-Old-Stock that, when it's gone, it'll be gone for good. I'd better store my precious Singer 240029 foot in a safe until I can find a buyer who can secure financing. 

Found the generic part number - #240030

For the record - here's the previous thread -