KBCustom

Tooling detailed animals

Hello everyone,

I have a customer that has requested a detailed labrador tooled into the cover of a leather book I'm making. I haven't really gotten into anything super detailed up to this point but would like to attempt this. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? 

Thanks in advance!

I second that!

He shows in detail how to do many different breeds of dogs. However (just checked my copy) he doesn't specifically show a lab, though he explains in detail how to do the fur, eyes, etc. on different types of caninds including wolves and foxes. You will have to find your own lab/picture of a lab to use as a model, then trace it and use Stohlman's book to help you fill in the details. Do a practice piece or a couple of practice pieces first, and you should be fine!

If you don't want to pay full price, you may be able to find a used copy. Also, most of Stohman's books are available as downloads from Tandy's Leathercraft Library: https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/category/79/ebooks?pagenum=2

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Here's a trick I learned for resizing photos for patterns.

If it's a photo you've found on the web, you may need to ask permission to use it, but the best thing to do would be to ask the customer for a photo of her dog.

Scan the photo as a document (PDF form) rather than a photo. I USED to be able to resize photos in jpg form using my printer/scanner program, but not anymore...

Open the file 

Click printer icon

Select ‘custom scale’ and enter percentage you wish to resize it to. If you want it bigger, select a number higher than 100%, if smaller, a figure below 100%

To save on toner, select ‘save ink/toner’.

Print it up.

If size is what you want, select ‘save changes to PDF’ when closing document.

Cut the photo out or trace it, then transfer it to your leather as you would with any other figure carving pattern.

In addition to the above, using a photo editor to change the image to black and white, then adjust contrast and brightness levels to make sure all the details of the eyes and nose and the dark areas are visible helps tremendously.