Hey everybody.

I've been a leathersmith for some time now but just recently started using fiebings edge kote. I premade a.... LOT of belts for a show and just the day before noticed that the edge kote was cracking and in some cases flaking off! I burnished the edges and applied the kote with an edge tool and hung them to dry. I've never heard of anyone having this problem before. Did I just get a bad batch.? Not shaken well enough? I've seen some people say you have to melt the edges? Has anybody else had this problem? If so i would really love to know how to fix it. 

I have not used Edge Kote, normally use Giardini edge paints and have never had a problem with paint coming off.  I use a roller pen to apply multiple coats, sanding between coats to even the surface and give the next coat a slightly rougher surface for better adherence.

maybe you just applied it too heavily?

Gary

Its possible that I did just apply to much to fast. I'll give giardini a try as well. Thanks for your time and info.

Putnam, can't help but notice in the topic title you say you were using Tandy Edge Kote, but in your text you say it was Fiebing's.

Which one was it?

Haha. What I meant to say is fiebings edge kote I got at the tandy store. I dont think tandy has their own brand.