JazzBass

The contemporary "Greats"...

Given all the consummate professionals that take time to post and respond in these forums---
Who are YOUR "heroes" that are living and working today? ...those whose work MUST be seen/emulated?

As a newcomer, I've been most influenced by  (in no particular order...couldn't "rank" them if I tried, as some have completely different specialties)--
Nigel Armitage,  Ian Atkinson, Harry Rogers, Don Gonzales,  Bruce Cheaney, Sam Andrews, and a few others.

I know the list will be long, but - Who are YOUR heroes??

Edited by JazzBass

You named a few. There are several posters on here I lump into this category. Not gonna go fanboy on them though but they range from prolific posters to relatively quiet in comparison but all add a good amount of things for me to think about and it all helps me get better.

If you haven’t seen Bob Parks work you are missing true art,  same for Chuck Smith,  talked to both at Wishita Falls show last week.  Super nice people.

Thanks, @Rhale - that's what I'm looking for - true artists of whom I am not YET aware :)

Serge Volken?

No pro here but I've got a list. The people you mentioned. 

Bob park is probably my favorite for carving, but i like so many peoples work. Don Gonzalez, Chan Geer, Jim Linnell, Brit nantz, k Adam Tanner... Several members here inspire me a lot too. Rocky Aussie, sanch, particle, 9tpi, chief, Dwight, jls, c and b leather, 

And even more who are just good people that comment and offer good critique and advice and are included in the "inspire" list like battlemunky, bikermutt, mattsbagger, yintx, rockoboy, and a nice young lady at mendell leather

I find myself immediately drawn to these peoples posts (and more I'm sure I've forgotten) I may not always comment on things but I try to help and pass on encouragement when I can

Garypl and plinkercases are always good to me too haha

On 10/15/2018 at 8:37 PM, battlemunky said:

but all add a good amount of things for me to think about and it all helps me get better

I'm with ya --- since he asked about people who "post and respond in these forums".  I've seen some FANTASTIC work around here.  Beyond that, I don't want to buy your book, Im' not paying to see you "do a show" or make a video.  I figger when a guy thinks his opinion is so wonderful I should PAY him to hear it, he can KEEP it ;)

But I did see some wedding albums on here by a guy named Thompson a while back that were STUNNING.  (or was it Thompsen with an "en"?).  

16 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Garypl and plinkercases are always good to me too haha

.... and as long as you keep the checks coming I will keep being good to you!

Seriously - in as much as there isn't really the history or culture of leather work  - particularly in the east from where I can speak - I haven't been exposed to some of the ones mentioned other than briefly or by any reference on this site - but I do have to agree that I derive great inspiration from all the contributors here - even when I may have technical or stylistic differences - I was taught t that everyman is my teacher and some tech me what to do and some teach me what not to do! - I think I am a "not to do" teacher in most cases... even if just to myself. "oops wont to that again - if I remember not to".

I do have to say Stohlman is the only "name" from the past I have taken vast and  direct guidance from as far as the past masters go....  for present day ... whoever "Purdy Gear" is (not here I don't think but has a site - they don't put their makers mark front and centre so I have never been able to read it) and J Costanza from Boulder City have always been makers I have aspired after for the more historical work - modern personal carry almost any of you here!

There is a dude on YT named Johann Portgeiter that has a ton of useful stuff and doesn't charge a dime. I appreciate him quite often.

My true heroes are those who inspire me to do better.  And those who challenge me to keep improving.  As examples, Bobby Park took me under his wing at Sheridan the first time while in his class, Serge Volken and Bob Beard have mentored me many times, and Peter Main with his subtle nudges in the right direction have each have influenced me significantly, while encouraging me to have my own style.   All of the above people teach paid classes at various shows around the world, and I have gladly given my hard earned money to each of them and would do so again.  Why?  Because nothing is as good as being immersed with a master for a few days with them looking closely at what you do and offering advice about how to improve.  

Wow - glad I asked this question!!
I've looked up those mentioned here. Every one mentioned are both inspirational, and enlightening!
Many thanks to all !!