Sign in to follow this  

two tone dye seat

I tried my two-tone dye process on my latest production seats. We'll see how they like them.

Dave Theobald

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

post-327-1185281059_thumb.jpg

post-327-1185281081_thumb.jpg

post-327-1185281095_thumb.jpg

post-327-1185281108_thumb.jpg

Love it Dave. Can I ask how you get that 2 tone shading. I have been trying to get that look on projects, but it never works. What's the secret?

Love it Dave. Can I ask how you get that 2 tone shading. I have been trying to get that look on projects, but it never works. What's the secret?

Major,

I used one of the preval spray bottles to apply my stain....this was an experiment for me as I usually use my spray gun on my compressor.....it was very convenient; but not as fine a spray as my 100 psi spray gun. I guess that was to be expected. I spray the entire seat buckskin and then begin to darken the stain with black as I get to the edge....the final spray around the edge is straight black. After spraying I start applying the anitque paste.....I use Sheridan in the center and work toward dark brown around the edges....I keep applying and wiping and re applying until I have the look that I like. There are a lot of variations on this, Instead of darkening the stain with black you could darken with saddle tan and medium brown and have a much redder look to the leather. I hope that helps.

Dave

Edited by David

Thanks Dave, I'll have to try your method.

well you know i like em!

donno what i'ed do without my airbrush anymore :)

well you know i like em!

donno what i'ed do without my airbrush anymore :)

Don't know what it is about airbrushes, but, I sure hate to clean 'em. Getting lazy I guess.

Dave

Really like those Dave!!! I've been wanting to experiment with the different dye techniques myself. I'm gonna do a couple of sample seats soon. Hope they turnout half as nice as yours.

shirley

Really like those Dave!!! I've been wanting to experiment with the different dye techniques myself. I'm gonna do a couple of sample seats soon. Hope they turnout half as nice as yours.

shirley

Hey Shirley,

Glad you like them, I'm itching to give those new eco friendly dyes a whirl....some cool colors there.

Dave Theobald

Very Nice,

I just recently returned to leatherwork because of my brothers,

they asked me to repair a few things for their bikes and now I'am

trying to make some of their stuff. Can I ask how you set the dye

and what finish you recomend. the dye just seems to keep rubbing

off on everything, I have been using Fiebings pro oil dye, just black

so far. Patience is the hardest thing to relearn.

I enjoy looking at your work it is amazing.

Thanks,

SScott

Very Nice,

I just recently returned to leatherwork because of my brothers,

they asked me to repair a few things for their bikes and now I'am

trying to make some of their stuff. Can I ask how you set the dye

and what finish you recomend. the dye just seems to keep rubbing

off on everything, I have been using Fiebings pro oil dye, just black

so far. Patience is the hardest thing to relearn.

I enjoy looking at your work it is amazing.

Thanks,

SScott

Hey Scott,

Welcome to the wonderful world of BLACK dye....and the oil dye seems to be the worst for rubbing off. Try Tandy Pro Dye....black if you must. For a finish coat go with Fiebings Leather Balm with Atom wax.... This is the one I use. It will stop 95% of the rub off. I'm actually wondering if neutral shoe polish might do the same thing but that would be an experiment. Better yet indoctrinate your brothers in something other than black....The black will hide any tooling you do while an antiqued brown will accentuate your work.

Don't forget to post some pics of your work. We always like to see what everyone else is doing.

Dave Theobald

Hey Scott,

Welcome to the wonderful world of BLACK dye....and the oil dye seems to be the worst for rubbing off. Try Tandy Pro Dye....black if you must. For a finish coat go with Fiebings Leather Balm with Atom wax.... This is the one I use. It will stop 95% of the rub off. I'm actually wondering if neutral shoe polish might do the same thing but that would be an experiment. Better yet indoctrinate your brothers in something other than black....The black will hide any tooling you do while an antiqued brown will accentuate your work.

Don't forget to post some pics of your work. We always like to see what everyone else is doing.

Dave Theobald

The eco black by Tandy seems to have a lot less crocking (rub-off) than either the oil dyes or the pro dyes: however, it is a water-based dye, so it MUST be sealed. Personally, I like it better than the oil based or the spirit dyes, IF I need to dye something black.

For black, your best bet is to use drum dyed rather than to do it by hand, especially if you get a lot of orders for black items.

I just tried the neutral shoe polish and just to touch it seemed okay so I

took a damp cloth and if you rub it will come off but nothing like before.

so maybe in time it will set permanent. Now can the drum dyed be tooled?

My brother wants a new tool bag and I foresee a nightmare when I dye the

flesh side. Tryed to get the color changed, it didn't fly, he is just to hardheaded,

if it's not chrome it's black. Sadley hardheaded runs in the family.

I'll get the Fiebings Leather Balm with Atom wax and when i actually get

something done I'll post it.

Thanks'

Scott