I’m attempting a duffle bag and wanted opinions on stiff vs a softer pull up leather.

What I have now is a few sides of 3/4, 5/6, and 8/9 bridle leather. I mocked up a design in each thickness and just wasn’t happy with the way it looked. From every picture I can find out google, it seems most duffle bags aren’t made out of soft leather?

If I went soft, so I use a stiffer leather for the handles and strap?

Suggestions, comments, and pictures welcome! Thanks

My question is with the end of the zip so low down, what happens in the rain especialy if you have to put the bag down, looks a good chance of the zip edge wicking up the water, other than that a nice looking bag but not in my price range

Leather temper is a source of regular discussion in my house. I made my son a backpack out of 5/6 Wickett and Craig English Bridle.  It seemed a little stiff when first made. After a year of use it has a beautiful soft temper.  

I bought W&C 5/6 harness and had them stake it 4 times to soften the leather.  I think staking is the process of running the leather through a set of roller to loosen the fibers.  I’ve made several totes and a doctor bag with this leather and I love it.  Bag below has been used regularly for about a year. It shows some wear mainly from sliding it under airplane seats. 

I’ve made a couple messenger bags with 7/8 W&C harness, not staked.  I was going for a more rustic style and the heavier leather worked great. The 7/8 I used would be too thick/stiff for a duffle bag of the style you showed. 

You can buy a single side from W&C and have it split and stake to your specifications.

I’d guess the Buffalo Jackson leather has been tumbled to soften the leather. 

Dr Bag.JPG

Thants a great patena, I think leather bags, always looks better with a bit of use and the die not being 100% cover also adds to the look