Youri

Airbush dye for leather?

Hi,

In the past few days i thinking about using an airbrush.
Some point i "hit a wall" with some question.

What kind of dye can i use, with airbush?

In my country there is a distributor, who sells Alder airbush dye (25ml each) Is it ok, for leather too?
Is there any tandy leather or Cheq-Brill or any specific dye  i can use for dyeing?

Thank you!:)

Hi Youri,

You can spray pretty much any kind of dye using your airbrush as long as it is thin enough to flow through the airbrush.  Doesn’t matter if it is water or oil based. I use both types and they work just fine.

Gary

I use Fiebings Pro Dye. Just cuz it’s the dye I prefer to use as a dye. But like @garypl said anything the consistency of milk will work.

Just remember that air brushed dye is just barely on the surface.  Almost any serious rub against it will reveal the bare leather.

I have a compressor and several air brushes just taking up space in my shop because I don't like the depth of air brushed dye jobs.

I'm still dip dyeing everything.

May God bless,

Dwight

47 minutes ago, Dwight said:

Just remember that air brushed dye is just barely on the surface.  Almost any serious rub against it will reveal the bare leather.

I have a compressor and several air brushes just taking up space in my shop because I don't like the depth of air brushed dye jobs.

I'm still dip dyeing everything.

May God bless,

Dwight

I damp the leather before I airbrush. It soaks in pretty good. Saying that I don’t use belts, sheaths, holsters and the like.

Thank you all! :)
Ill' give it a try with some dye. Maybe an alcoholic dye impact the leather much deeper, than a water based one.

We tried to create our uniqe colors with woodstain + alc + water. Ill post some pic tomorrow. :)

I can't wait till the airbuss arrive!

Airbrush is a great way to control exactly how much dye you use to achieve a certain look, and for doing multi-shaded designs like the "sunburst" effect or to help fine-tune areas around a resist. If you just want the same color over the entire piece, then dip-dye is the way to go for consistency.

And because I love to show this bad boy off, I did everything but the white on this with an airbrush.

CompletedBag.jpg

Edited by TheCyberwolfe