Mungo

Tell me about linen thread

Linen thread was the usual thread for leatherwork until synthetics came along. Of these, Ritza/Tiger thread is very popular, but I don't like the way it feels or handles, I prefer linen

The sizing of linen thread is a bit complicated, it is based on the thickness of individual strands, and the number of those strands that are then twisted together to make the final thread. The most used size for leatherwork is 18/3

Fil au Chinois is an excellent French make of linen thread, and it uses a different system; the lower the number, the thicker the thread. 332 and 432 are the usual sizes for leatherwork. 'Fil au Chinois' is French for Chinese Thread, but it is made in France, and is an early example of marketing. It was first made in the early 19th century, and at the time anything Chinese or Oriental was very fashionable, so they simply called it Chinese Thread

Synthetic thread is undoubtedly stronger than linen, but the point is that linen is still strong enough for most leatherwork. I make sheaths and wallets, and have had no complaints about using linen thread. It is usually black, brown, natural or white, but you can get other colours by Searching t'Net

Buy your thread from a proper leather craft shop or look for decent makes like Somac, Crawfords, Fil au Chinois, or Barbour. Don't get unbranded linen thread from Amazon or eBay as some of it isn't very good

If I want to use synthetic thread I use Tandy's Waxed Nylon Thread #1227. I think it is underrated, being cheap, strong, easy to use, and ready waxed

I suggest you try some Tandy waxed nylon and some 18/3 linen and see what you think

Sorry, but I've never heard of Niltex, perhaps an American member can help you

These two videos are worth watching - 

'10 Differences between Tiger Thread (Ritza 25) and Fil au Chinois'  by Leodis Leather/Ian Atkinson

'Stitching Leather by Hand (tutorial); linen & nylon threads' by Fischer Workshops

This might interest you, it has lots of listings for suppliers of historical or traditional materials

https://www.bookandsword.com

I love my waxed braided cord!

But then I haven’t been in very long. I really like the braided aspect. If one thread goes, the whole project isn’t shot.

Linen is definitely more historically accurate.

But for overall quality, I think modern synthetics truly are better, in every way. They dont rot or fade, they're waterproof, and extremely strong. They're also cheaper and easier to find these days. They dont unravel either!

I'm pleased with the Ritza knockoff nylon thread found on Amazon. You get like 78 miles of it for 3 or 4 bucks in almost any color and even multicolor. I've used linen thread and its ok IMO. If you are going to do period specific work then you really only have the option of that period so let that drive your purchase if you plan on keeping it accurate.