CapnCohen

Duffel Bag Leather: Weight(s)/Type?

I want to make a bag 24" x 11.5" x 11.5" for travel with exterior pockets, hand and shoulder straps, and canvas lining (sample picture of desired result). Has anyone done this? I want the bag's structure to be fairly firm--not board stiff (may need a breaking in period, I guess) nor mushy. I'm thinking of using bison hide with a bit of grain. Any suggestion for a supplier?

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 12.14.31 PM.png

I'm with you...would love to make bags like the one shown, or like this backpack from LM Products.

Can't wait to see the responses of the many pros here...I was going to ask similar questions, but not quite ready to do it yet.
I absolutely love leather bags, and have seen some stunning examples on this forum. WooHoo!

image.png.5ab54b07b26563c4751a64c131ba7676.png

I have not made one but I do have several in mind that I want to make. I bought some bison scrap awhile back and made a key wallet out of it. It is flexible but at the same time can hold its shape fairly well. I would recommend the bison. I also really like how it is darkening up on the surface but the many skin grooves stay the lighter brown, creating eye catching contrast! 

On 12/16/2018 at 9:57 PM, JazzBass said:

I'm with you...would love to make bags like the one shown, or like this backpack from LM Products.

Can't wait to see the responses of the many pros here...I was going to ask similar questions, but not quite ready to do it yet.
I absolutely love leather bags, and have seen some stunning examples on this forum. WooHoo!

image.png.5ab54b07b26563c4751a64c131ba7676.png

I really like the look of this one and I've been wanting to make myself a backpack for work. Do you happen to know where I could some ready made templates like this one? I've been meaning to make my own but the template design process would take just about as long as making it (at least for me). 

Nice bags! We have not done bags like this yet (not this large). We have only made totes and purses. For doing turned bags we found a tumbled leather much easier to work with.

The only tumbled, vegtan leather I can find where we are (EU) is Minerva Box, max 2mm (5 oz). This leather is flexible but still firm, I would call it a medium temper. For a larger bag like these I would probably want 2.2mm (6 oz). Or line it to add stiffness. I would imagine some Horween 6oz would work nice.

I would like to make bags like these in canvas with leather trim! One day :)

-Adam