David Bruce

DIY Heat Creaser Question

I recently ordered a second hand regad heat creaser from this shop in france http://www.cuirtextilecrea.com/  While I'm waiting I was moving around my Kwikprint heat stamping machines and was looking at the heat controller on them. I'm no electrician but wouldn't it be possible to wire a regad or adece handle so that it connects to the Robotemp controller from a Kwikprint? They regulate temp and are designed to stay on for long periods of time. Plus, the Robotemps are inexpensive.

robotemp.png

Edited by David Bruce
typos

In my opinion, you will want to make sure the voltages of the two units match. Looks like the Regad uses 220 volts, and your Robotemp is only 120 volts, so even if they were wired "correctly", the Robotemp would not have enough power to operate the Regad to the temperatures that you might desire.

1 hour ago, LatigoAmigo said:

In my opinion, you will want to make sure the voltages of the two units match. Looks like the Regad uses 220 volts, and your Robotemp is only 120 volts, so even if they were wired "correctly", the Robotemp would not have enough power to operate the Regad to the temperatures that you might desire.

The regad transformers are what have specific voltage and they come in both 220v or 110v. The handles work on either voltage of machine. I'm talking about using a Robotemp instead of the transformer and plugging the handles into it. The plug would have to be changed but it seems doable.

So, the Robotemp would replace the black box/transformer.

Screen shot 2018-12-18 at 4.47.17 PM.png

1 hour ago, David Bruce said:

The regad transformers are what have specific voltage and they come in both 220v or 110v. The handles work on either voltage of machine.

Since the voltage is not an issue, you might consider using a plug adapter (from a travel shop or Amazon). That way, in case the Robotemp does not meet your expectations, you are not having to compromise your Regad's plug.

716xzJzdPPL._SL1500_.jpg

36 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

After I posted, I realized that the Robotemp is grounded, so here is an example of a grounded plug adapter. 

81Gbn426sGL._SL1500_.jpg

I think you're misunderstanding. Look at how the handle attaches to the regad transformer, it's not the wall plug. Only the handle connector would need changing is my thought. I'll look closer once I get handles in.

3 hours ago, David Bruce said:

Look at how the handle attaches to the regad transformer, it's not the wall plug.

Sorry, I was looking at the photo that you provided, and saw that the plug on that handle looked very much like a standard French plug.

Plug.jpg

By the way, I found a very similar device available through a company in Texas, Campbell-Randall. Their's is "stipped down" compared to what you are looking at, but it sells for just $225. It is their BF110 Hot Iron Station for Burnishing, Crease Lines, & Thread Trimming.

BF110-2017_web81809.jpg

Edited by LatigoAmigo

12 hours ago, David Bruce said:

I recently ordered a second hand regad heat creaser from this shop in france http://www.cuirtextilecrea.com/  While I'm waiting I was moving around my Kwikprint heat stamping machines and was looking at the heat controller on them. I'm no electrician but wouldn't it be possible to wire a regad or adece handle so that it connects to the Robotemp controller from a Kwikprint? They regulate temp and are designed to stay on for long periods of time. Plus, the Robotemps are inexpensive.

robotemp.png

I think it sould work fine. I have been using a light dimmer switch housed into a wooden box and a cresent soldering iron with various self shaped tips for over 20 years now and way before I ever heard about these fancy regad heat creases. These Robotemp boxes look nicer though.