Sign in to follow this  

A work colleague asked me to renovate a man's leather belt. Unfortunately, the leather was past its use-by date, so new 4.0mm black leather, parentage unknown, lined with 1.0mm deer hide. Sewn on my 227R clone.

Belt 01.jpg

Belt 02.jpg

Belt 03.jpg

Very nice belt! I thought of using deer hide for a liner but I thought it would be too light/soft, but yours looks great. Did you glue the deer hide to the face leather before sewing? Also, did you burnish the finished belt with the deer hide attached or use edge paint? Either way, very nice job!

6 minutes ago, TomWisc said:

did you burnish the finished belt with the deer hide attached or use edge paint?

Thank you Tom.

I did glue the liner to the face before I burnished the edges, but no edge paint. Both the the liner and the face were black leather when they came to me, so that hid a whole raft of sins!

I am trying to perfect the edge guide I made for my sewing machine, because I think the stitching is a bit to far from the edge, but that's a work in progress.

Edited by Rockoboy

I am having problems resizing a picture but here is what I did. My terminology may not be accurate so bear with me. I wanted a zipper foot to allow me to stitch closer to the edge of the belt. I went to my local guy who I bought my Seiko, STH-8BLD-3 from and he took 2 standard 'lifting pressor foot' pieces and cut right side off one and left side off the other giving me basically a set of zipper pressor foot pieces. Using the left 'pressor foot' piece I can sew very close to the edge of the belt. 

I also got a basic edge guide from him that can be screwed to the base of the machine and adjusted. With this combination I can get as close to the belt edge as 1/8" which looks good on an 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" belt.

2 hours ago, TomWisc said:

I am having problems resizing a picture

What I do for resizing pics, is I email the pic to myself, and its all sorted.

2 hours ago, TomWisc said:

he took 2 standard 'lifting pressor foot' pieces and cut right side off one and left side off the other

This what I have been advised to do as well. The lack of action is all my own work. This was recommended to me for sewing right up against a seam or the side of something where an ordinary foot is too wide.

Its really the edge guide that I need to get sorted. I am willing to bet good money (your money, not mine) that my stitch-line will wander back and forwards, sometimes maybe going right off the item being sewn, if I try to sew within 3mm of the edge.