CourtneyYEG

Changing a Cheyanne roll?

Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to change the style of a Cheyanne roll on a saddle? I’m looking at a saddle that fits my needs in every way, but the Cheyanne roll has weird rope lacing on it. I prefer plain Cheyanne rolls without any fancy lacing, buckstitch or whatever else people do to dress it up.

Is it possible to change that without damaging the rest of the saddle? The saddle itself is a hard seat roper with a roughout seat. I assume it’s possible, but I wanted to confirm first. Is the cost comparable to that of a new saddle? I don’t mind spending a couple hundred dollars on that, but would hate to get a bill for $1000 to repair what “appears” to be a relatively straight forward change.

Thank you!

Yes this can definitely be done.  The binding will need to be replaced for sure, and depending on how it's constructed, maybe some other parts.  I can't speak for shops in your area, but there's no way it should cost $1000 to do.  I'd give an estimate of between $200-400. It might not even end up at $200, if everything comes apart easily and only the binding needs to be put on new. But if a lot of contact cement was used when the saddle was made, it will take longer plus there's a chance the person doing the repair could ruin some parts getting it tore down, and need to make new and carefully splice in to existing. Where do you live?

15 minutes ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Where do you live?

OP is located in Edmonton, AB, Canada according to the IP address.

@CourtneyYEG It's a good idea to update your profile with your location so you get information that may be more applicable to your area on this planet.

Tom

18 minutes ago, Northmount said:

OP is located in Edmonton, AB, Canada according to the IP address

Thank you Tom.  That definitely would makes a difference!

Sorry, I’m still figuring my way around here. :) I’m in the Edmonton area, but will travel within a couple hours in any direction. I just wasn’t sure if it was a relatively easy fix or something that was more trouble than it’s worth. :)