Stompk

smooth vs. lined vs. checked

Good morning. I hope this is in the right place. I did search, but got too many hits that weren't what I wanted . . 
so, with that out of the way . . .

how do you decide when to use which style of beveler, pear shader, etc ?

I've tried with smooth pear shaders on flowers, and also checked ones, and I guess I'm missing it. How do you decide which style goes better on a given project ?

I realize it's a bit daft, but I've only just realized that a bevel with the lines running from top to bottom can be dragged down a flower petal or stem to give a nice texture. so when would you want to use a stamp where the lines run left to right? I realize that one of my stamps goes from top left to bottom right and it's the only stamp I have like that. 

I'm sure I'm overthinking it, but maybe some of you really have a system, and I'm hoping to learn. so thank you.

it's worth to buy couple of Stohlman's books - there are picture and explanation on the tools

Hello Stompk,

I was told that the checkering on the tools was to help capture antique when you apply it.  The antique gets caught in the small lines of the checkering making those areas darker and enhancing the illusion of depth.  In floral carving a lot of people will tell you that if you are antiquing a piece you want to use checkered bevellers.  The pear shaders or thumbprints as they are sometime called are the same thing.  If you use a checkered or lined one you will capture more antique than a smooth one will and you will get more depth.  But it all comes down to your personal style and the effect you want to achieve.  I say experiment and decide what looks best to your eye.

Bob

22 hours ago, Bob Blea said:

Hello Stompk,

I was told that the checkering on the tools was to help capture antique when you apply it.  The antique gets caught in the small lines of the checkering making those areas darker and enhancing the illusion of depth.  In floral carving a lot of people will tell you that if you are antiquing a piece you want to use checkered bevellers.  The pear shaders or thumbprints as they are sometime called are the same thing.  If you use a checkered or lined one you will capture more antique than a smooth one will and you will get more depth.  But it all comes down to your personal style and the effect you want to achieve.  I say experiment and decide what looks best to your eye.

Bob

thanks Bob and nrk.

I have a couple of the Stohlman books, and maybe I've missed it, but it seemed random as to when they'd use one over the other. antiquing does make sense.

thanks.

On 1/12/2019 at 1:26 AM, Bob Blea said:

enhancing the illusion of depth

it's not an illusion - that's how it work )