Sign in to follow this  
Rod and Denise Nikkel

A.B. Duke, Chinook Mont.

We stopped into a small, rural museum close to Grande Prairie, Alberta during our couple of days away. Our very spry 84 year old tour guide happily showed us around. He also showed us a saddle that had been donated only the day before, with the history that it was probably built in the 1890's.

It has had some hard wear over the years and is now a victim of severe neglect, not to mention a very crude modification as what where probably square skirts were cut off to make rounded skirts.

However, the maker's mark, which appeared on the seat and the back corner of both skirts was quite clear: A.B. Duke, Chinook Mont.

In my extremely limited internet search ability, I was unable to come up with any information on this saddle maker. Any one out there know anything about him? The museum would be interested.

Thanks.

Compressed_1890_saddle_Kleskun.JPG Compressed_Maker_Mark.JPG

post-1524-1186807015_thumb.jpg

post-1524-1186807042_thumb.jpg

R&D. I have been looking thru census records for Montana. Duke is definately a Chinook name from that era. Let me see where this leads me.

Maybe the Blaine County museum in Chinook might have some info

Barra

It was a B when seen for real. The picture was of the clearest mark, but there were three of them all together. I have sent off an e-mail to the museum there and will see what they come up with.

It was a B when seen for real. The picture was of the clearest mark, but there were three of them all together. I have sent off an e-mail to the museum there and will see what they come up with.

Old Cowboy Saddles & Spurs :A.B. Duke, Chinook, Mt. ca 1890-early 1900s.

Maybe an inquiry to Sebie Hutchins would bring a bit more information as you already have the above information but she may be able to give you her source.

Blake

Is Sebie Hutchins the author of the book you mention? Where is she from and how can we best contact her? You can PM us if you need to with specifics to avoid the spam things on the net.

Thanks, Denise

We e-mailed the Blaine County Museum and eventually received this e-mail in return. No, the saddle is not in excellent condition, but the rest of the information means that what our museum was told about the saddle was probably correct. We'll pass it on to them, as well as the name of a local guy who might be able to help the saddle look a bit better...

"The saddle is amazing! It looks like it is in excellent condition. We are fortunate to have two A.B. Duke Saddles in our Early West exhibit.

A.B. Duke was a pioneer of Chinook. We have a few pictures of his daughter Letha in our photo collection. The Duke’s settled in Chinook in 1889.

Mr. Duke owned and operated A.B. Duke & Company Manufacturers of Harness and Saddles – Dealers in Pelts, Hides, All Kinds of Furs, Tents, and Bed Paulins. He also sold shoes, and was co-owner of the Milk River Coal Co. in 1928.

In the book “Chinook the First 100 Years,†there is a picture of A.B. Duke’s Saddle Shop. It was built next-door to the City Stable and stockyards once located on the Westside of the 100 block on Main Street.

There are no ancestors of the Duke family living in this area. I am not sure what year they moved away from Chinook."

We e-mailed the Blaine County Museum and eventually received this e-mail in return. No, the saddle is not in excellent condition, but the rest of the information means that what our museum was told about the saddle was probably correct. We'll pass it on to them, as well as the name of a local guy who might be able to help the saddle look a bit better...

"The saddle is amazing! It looks like it is in excellent condition. We are fortunate to have two A.B. Duke Saddles in our Early West exhibit.

A.B. Duke was a pioneer of Chinook. We have a few pictures of his daughter Letha in our photo collection. The Duke’s settled in Chinook in 1889.

Mr. Duke owned and operated A.B. Duke & Company Manufacturers of Harness and Saddles – Dealers in Pelts, Hides, All Kinds of Furs, Tents, and Bed Paulins. He also sold shoes, and was co-owner of the Milk River Coal Co. in 1928.

In the book “Chinook the First 100 Years,†there is a picture of A.B. Duke’s Saddle Shop. It was built next-door to the City Stable and stockyards once located on the Westside of the 100 block on Main Street.

There are no ancestors of the Duke family living in this area. I am not sure what year they moved away from Chinook."

R&D. I'm glad you were able to find some info on A B Duke.

Barra

I received an email today:

Greetings I was researching A B Duke holsters for an article I'm doing for a club bulletin and I can up with your site. You showed a picture of a Duke Saddle and stated that the old gent in Canada would like more information on A B Duke. I'm attaching a couple of picts of a Duke holster and a copy of an ad from the 1890s. Hope this is of interest to you or him.Regards

Johanna

First pic is a single loop holster for a Colt Model 1877 Lightning revolver

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

post-5-1192060635_thumb.jpg

post-5-1192060647_thumb.jpg

post-5-1192060660_thumb.jpg