Treesner

cutting down double cap rivets

can you cut down double cap rivets with pliers for the height that you need? what would be the right amount sticking above theleathtr?

do you guys do that where you purchase the long rivets and just cut down as you need? That's what I've been doing with the solid copper rivets..

also is the jiffy brand the best double cap rivet for high strength sheaths and such? 

I've done that for years. One of the older Leatherworker "bibles" shows how to do it.  I think the measurement is 1/8th inch above the leather. The only time I've ever had a problem is early on when I cut it too short.
I cut it with a pair of side cutters (actually flush cutting nippers) and the use them to make the tip round again.

I use side-cutters, but I have a woodworking round awl with a steel shaft which fits into the rivet shaft. Cutting the soft metal of the rivet carefully doesn't even mark the awl shaft and it keeps the rivet part round. ~~ however, I keep quite a range of rivets of different shaft lengths so I rarely need to cut any down

On 1/31/2019 at 5:24 PM, fredk said:

I use side-cutters, but I have a woodworking round awl with a steel shaft which fits into the rivet shaft. Cutting the soft metal of the rivet carefully doesn't even mark the awl shaft and it keeps the rivet part round. ~~ however, I keep quite a range of rivets of different shaft lengths so I rarely need to cut any down

Was wondering if it might crimp the top of the river and mess up if just cutting. So you put the awl in and take a couple cute around it ?

yup, thats wot I do, just cut lightly around it and the soft rivet metal soon separates. I got fed up just cutting the rivet shaft then spending ages rounding it again so it'd fit into the head part

Depends how many you need to cut but another way is to get some thick copper wire, stuff it into the shaft and cut both the wire and shaft in one, then shake out the short bit of wire