Sign in to follow this  
c2369zulu

To double stitch or not to double stitch

Hello all,

Just looking for some input from others who make knife sheaths. I am working on a Ka-bar "scout" carry knife sheath as shown below and am at a point where I need to decide if I am going to double stitch around the sheath or just leave it as a single stitch. The double stitching would give more support to the welt edges closest to the knife blade, but I am not sure if it is needed. Also, because the inside stitch line is on the inside, I will lose the rounded turns at the bottom/end of the sheath and the corners will likely have to be 90 degree angles. Any thoughts? Would you still double stitch?  I could just stitch two parallel inside lines without going across the bottom, but not sure how it would look. Most of the area will be covered by the belt loop and center panel attachment anyway...

20190206_092457.jpg

20190206_094149.jpg

21 minutes ago, c2369zulu said:

Most of the area will be covered by the belt loop and center panel attachment anyway...

I don't know what this part means, but I usually let the second row of stitching (or not) be selected by the width of the welt. 1/4" wide welt only really room for one row -- 1/2" wide welt I might stitch on each edge.

But as a rule, I'm the guy who generally recommends not double stitching unless there's a specific reason for it.

Thanks for the reply JLSleather! Sorry, I understand that statememt was not clear. The attached photo should help explain. This welt is 3/4" btw to get the width of finished sheath I wanted.

20190205_182615.jpg

Edited by c2369zulu

What did you finally decide? One row or two? Pictures?