JazzBass

Inspecting Used Revolvers (PDF included)

A friend recently asked what to look for, when buying a used wheelgun. I decided to write it all out, and share it with anyone who might benefit from the info. It's one small way to "give back" to those who've taught me so much in the forums.

Revolver Inspection.pdf  

Nice informative pdf. I would suggest adding a couple of things:

1. Before purchasing any firearm ask yourself is this the right calibre, barrel length and what you would like to do with it (target shooting, hunting, protection, etc.).

2. Have the owner pass the revolver to you with the cylinder open so you can determine it is unloaded and safe before handling it. See if the gun fits comfortably and is balanced in your hand.

3. Since appearance is important in helping to determine how the gun was cared for check visually that there are no major flaws like deep scratches or dents with the finish, modified sights, stripped screws, frame cracked, buckled/split/bent/bulged barrel, cracked / modified grips or any major modifications attempted. Does the finish look different on the barrel, cylinder versus the frame indicating parts replaced.

3. When checking the barrel look for excessive wear to the internal rifling of the barrel. The sharper looking the edges are the less wear on that barrel.

4. If the gun checks out arrange to go to a range and test fire to make sure it suits your needs / comfort level. Maybe a nice well cared for XX calibre but can you properly handle / control it or is going to sit you on your butt every time you squeeze that trigger.

My thoughts,

kgg