Ninjamonkyy

Help needed! Phone pouch

Hi! So im very new to both leatherwork and this forum. I'm having a bit of trouble with finishing a project. This is my first real thing I've made, so any tweaks I could do or hints would be very much appreciated. 

I need to finish the sides of it but don't know how I would do it. I've used 3.6mm thick leather for the whole thing and it will be used to strap onto a belt for work. I have got a 2mm leather that I want to use. Any ideas? 

Thanks! 

IMG_20190309_183034-min (1).jpg

IMG_20190309_185017-min.jpg

Considering that you seem to have stained, burnished edges, and finished what you have, . . . 

I'd probably hole punch the ends, . . . and so a "X" lacing, . . . like shoe strings, . . . but loose, . . . it would hold the sides together and make a "pouch" out of it for your phone.

First thought anyway, . . . 

Or if you are truly ambitious, . . . you could sew a toe plug into each end (search toe plug on here, . . . you'll see what it is).

May God bless,

Dwight

16 hours ago, Dwight said:

Considering that you seem to have stained, burnished edges, and finished what you have, . . . 

I'd probably hole punch the ends, . . . and so a "X" lacing, . . . like shoe strings, . . . but loose, . . . it would hold the sides together and make a "pouch" out of it for your phone.

First thought anyway, . . . 

Or if you are truly ambitious, . . . you could sew a toe plug into each end (search toe plug on here, . . . you'll see what it is).

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks very much for your reply. What thickness of leather would be best for the toe plug? 

1 hour ago, Ninjamonkyy said:

What thickness of leather would be best for the toe plug? 

I would use the same leather to match the colour, but I would skive the edges to assist with bending, fitting and stitching the plug. 

4 hours ago, Ninjamonkyy said:

Thanks very much for your reply. What thickness of leather would be best for the toe plug? 

I think you probably used 9 oz for the project, . . . and a toe plug that thick for that type of project would be overkill.  I would probably use 4 to 5 oz, . . . or about 1.5 mm to 2 mm.

That will make it not so rigid, . . . 

Just the way I would do it.

May God bless,

Dwight

1 hour ago, Dwight said:

I would probably use 4 to 5 oz, . . . or about 1.5 mm to 2 mm.

That will make it not so rigid, . . . 

Probably make it easier to stitch and be easily sufficient for the job as well, but I would use the same leather so the colour and texture of the leather is exactly the same. I am not known for taking the easy road.

Thank you for all of your answers! Unfortunately I cannot get the same leather but thinner, I have purchased a thinner 2mm leather that is darker that fits quite well, and I will attempt a toe plug. Thank you for your advice! I will post a pic of the finished product (if it goes well)      :)