JanetNorris

Al Stohlman carving?

This tri-leg leather seat came in today for conditioning.  It was inherited by a friend of mine.  I was admiring the work and noticed the brand on the calf.  Might this be an early carving from Al Stohlman?  Is anybody familiar with how he signed his work?  Thanks in advance-Janet111338593_ALSfigure1.thumb.jpg.258657f63927be4a02f79474bc80b0f1.jpg2129097289_als2.thumb.jpg.24ec8f6e8fe2c292b58520fbef92ece5.jpg2129097289_als2.thumb.jpg.24ec8f6e8fe2c292b58520fbef92ece5.jpg

Most of the work I've seen that's signed has his full name printed out in block capitals. Here's the best example I could find. On his larger carvings, it's often almost impossible to see the signature:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vtg-original-al-stohlman-crafted-1853215267

Edited by Sheilajeanne

To answer the original question:  yes, this is a Stohlman design but he did not carve this one.  He used to add his initials into the designs that incorporated ranch/farm animals as a way to mark his designs.  You can tell by the rough edges where the beveler was used that they are simply beveled and not formed.  Stohlman would always round the sharp edges down to create a more realistic look to an animal or a human portrait and that is the way that he taught this type of work.  The person who did this design simply added the AS initials that Stohlman had placed in the initial tracing and photocarve that he did for this one is all.

thanks Richard.  I figured it had to at least be his design.  Whoever did this put a lot of detail in it.  The shirt pocket, etc.  are very distinct.