David 63

Osborne leather strap cutter troubles!

Help! I have an old Osborne strap cutter that won't (or I can't) let me cut an even strap (5/16 to 1/2 inch wide). When I start pulling the leather through the strap cutter the piece of leather has a tendency to pull away from the body of the strap cutter. The blade measured from the sharpened edge to the body is narrower ( around 1/16 of an inch different) than the back edge of the blade to the body. Should the blade be parallel to the body or slightly wider at the edge, than at the back edge of the blade? Do I need to file the opening in the body,  so that the bar will allow the blade to sit parallel to the body? The blade has a taper from front to back, that looks like it was ground that way at the factory, and contributes some of the difference between the distances from the edge of the blade and the back of the blade. Thank you for any help, you might give me.

8 hours ago, David 63 said:

The blade has a taper from front to back, that looks like it was ground that way at the factory

I'll bet if you post a photo of your strap cutter, people here familiar with these kinds of tools might find a way to help you.

Edited by LatigoAmigo

If its this style of cutter; https://www.amazon.com/C-S-Osborne-Gauge-Leather-Cutting/dp/B07BZTBHTZ

The cutting edge of the blade should be closer to the body than the rear edge, or at least parallel. You do not want the back edge closer than the cutting edge as the leather strip will bind. Try either inverting the blade, or fitting a new one. The blade you have may have a bias to one side

Yes, it looks like the Osborne 51 1/2 cutter.  I will try inverting the blade and if that works; I will get a new blade. Thank you for your help!