mwpdx86

'Fast' thread snips for thick thread

Hey, I'm looking for some thread snips for thick/bonded nylon thread (tex 70-90 usually).  Right now I'm using some Fiskars stitcher scissors and they seem great for the thread thickness.  I'm looking for something a bit 'faster' though, like the spring loaded ones that you use with your whole hand instead of putting your fingers through the holes each time.  I have a cheap pair of Fiskars thread snips that are faster but they kind of hang up on the thread I'm using.  Does anybody make a pair of thread snips that are especially heavy duty? 

those are decent scissors, but for thread nipping, they're just a handful.  I use these in my own work, and they do a great job.  

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/544bce89e4b0eb63aaac64f3/t/5c9be814fa0d603657bae433/1553721376060/Online+Catalog+Updated+3.27.19.pdf

image.png.434315b3f4a59d0439b3111ca69e8fb1.png

Perhaps I'm  cheap but I use snips that were made for gardening as much better value than leather ones , mine came in at about £3 but nice and sharp.

On 6/3/2019 at 5:55 PM, SolarLeatherMachines said:

those are decent scissors, but for thread nipping, they're just a handful.  I use these in my own work, and they do a great job.  

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/544bce89e4b0eb63aaac64f3/t/5c9be814fa0d603657bae433/1553721376060/Online+Catalog+Updated+3.27.19.pdf

image.png.434315b3f4a59d0439b3111ca69e8fb1.png

I use these too. At about £1 a pair I can afford to have one tied onto each machine with a piece of string, plus one on the bench and a few spares here and there. Always one to hand when I need it.

On 6/5/2019 at 7:07 AM, Matt S said:

I use these too. At about £1 a pair I can afford to have one tied onto each machine with a piece of string.

Yes, exactly.  I tell all my folks to do that.  These things are too comfortable in the palm of your hand and you'll end up walking away from the machine...and have none there when you come back.  before long, they're scattered around the house.    A customer once told me how his wife's quilting parties always made raids on his supplies, and the first thing to disappear were these little black snips.