Tc1388

Sewing machine storage

Hi, so I just purchased a new Cowboy cb3200. I’m planning on setting up a legit tooling shop in my detached garage but am weary about putting the machine out there with it, as I live in New England. I’ve got an 8month old and a baby on the way so silence is golden in the home and work  projects late at night. Are there any thoughts on storing it out there?

I am guessing it depends entirely on the area you have, how much moisture, cold or heat will get in there. What some people call a garage, you might call a rough leanto, or a fully insulated waterproof workshop. Pics might help.

I would make a waterproof cover for your machine and put a moisture absorbing pad inside it.  I would use the large ones like you use in an motorhome particularly if you are going to have large temperature swings in the garage.

kgg

I'm a machinist so have literally tons of steel machinery and tooling in a detached shop. I do have problems with rust and moisture because steel is pretty much everything in the shop, but one effective thing you can do for specific things is to simply put a small light bulb or low wattage heater of some kind inside, then cover the machine with something which will somewhat insulate the item and keep the heat inside just to make it more effective. You could use some sort of box rather than cloth. You don't need to make the machine hot, just warm it up a bit.

The way moisture attaches itself to metal is it migrates from warm air condensing on cool items. By raising the temperature of the item above the dewpoint temperature, you can mitigate most of the condensation if not all.

The only other way around it is to use properly sized humidifiers or air conditioners, which obviously cost much more to operate. If you can afford it, it's the luxurious way to go. Otherwise, I'd try a light bulb... incandescent by the way. LED bulbs create more light and less heat (more efficient) and what you're looking for is the heat - the light is just a by-product in this case. I guess my oldness is showing as light bulbs used to just be what they were until lately.

Edited by Vinito

I live along the Chesapeake Bay- a lot of salt and chill in the air- my garage has covers for all the machines- sew them yourself out of marine grade Sunbrella or heavy material... 

A cheap dessicant source for keeping my toolbox dry is going to any cheap footwear/shoe store (I got a whole shoebox full from Walmart local to me) These are in packets.

1. spread them on a cookie sheet- heat in oven at UNDER 200 for about 3 hours
  2. seal them into a Gallon Ziploc and put it on the shelf- every couple of weeks- toss one in the drawer
  3. when you're out of packets- just collect them, heat the oven up and repeat.

Hope this helps! You dont have to spend a lot of money on the dessicants- and they are re-useable! 

Thanks for all the responses. Spoke with the manufacturer earlier, he said as long as I keep the exterior non painted metal parts lubricated with gun oil and the machine oiled itself, it should be fine. Just run the risk of the mother board on the motor which is $30 to replace. He said the basement wasn’t any better of an option. I may have to spend the time to insulate the garage eventually. 

SilverForgeStudio, I also found a good article on prepping. I may invest in a few Dri-Z-Air containers and use calcium choloride out there, particularly one under the cover. 

https://www.skilledsurvival.com/desiccant/

I've oiled my machines liberally a few times in the past, then came back out after fairly long stretches of time to see that now I have to clean off the oil as well as the rust, which the oil was completely underpowered to resist the progression of rust. Your mileage may vary.

Regarding the circuit board, you can get conformal coating to seal that for submerging in the ocean and only need to apply it once. Basically it's like a clear epoxy-ish silicone-ie paint you simply brush (or spray) on and let dry. You can apply more than one coat, but you only need to apply it once. Apply liberally to both sides and toss your worries in the bin.

12 hours ago, Tc1388 said:

I may invest in a few Dri-Z-Air containers and use calcium choloride out there, particularly one under the cover. 

If you go to a vet/horse supply house and just get CaCl USP you can make these cheaper than buying- you can re-crystallize it as well if you feel like the hassle. Do it solar and its a lot of fun to watch the crystals grow!

For the recurring costs associated with a garage space I just went with a de-humidifier. The silica gel packs are for the toolbox. 

I pay a few bucks (overall savings is still being calculated as I am new- yes my wife is an accountant and is tracking this stuff) but my workshop is dry.  Put it on a timer switch to run 12 hour nights and you just need to empty the pail every day! 

Best of luck! Let us know how you fare with this adventure

On 8/26/2019 at 7:07 AM, SilverForgeStudio said:

If you go to a vet/horse supply house and just get CaCl USP you can make these cheaper than buying- you can re-crystallize it as well if you feel like the hassle. Do it solar and its a lot of fun to watch the crystals grow!

For the recurring costs associated with a garage space I just went with a de-humidifier. The silica gel packs are for the toolbox. 

I pay a few bucks (overall savings is still being calculated as I am new- yes my wife is an accountant and is tracking this stuff) but my workshop is dry.  Put it on a timer switch to run 12 hour nights and you just need to empty the pail every day! 

Best of luck! Let us know how you fare with this adventure

Thanks! Got the machine set up out there. Fingers crossed...

I live in New England. My shop is in the second story of a barn. I have 4 machines in my shop as well as a crease and splitter. I have no problem with rust. I would recommend insulation for the garage and a dehumidifier. The humidity is the biggest problem for us New Englanders.