Sign in to follow this  
dukraf

How do i trim and finish this strap?

I have a watch strap made from alligator leather that widens half way (see pics), and means that i cannot glide my watch buckle thorough it. 

I've calculated that if l shave off at least 1mm from each side from where the protrusion/bulge starts, it will allow me to punch 3 new holes and glide the buckle to reach the new holes. It cannot go further in than the first line of outer stitching.

I was thinking a beveling tool and then a burnish. But i don't think it'll give me the 1mm-1.5mm i need. As you can see there is a bit of a shine to the edge of the current strap also.

How do i achieve this trim and finish?

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-02 at 21.38.35 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-02 at 21.38.35.jpeg

Edited by dukraf

That is a really nice job as you have done it. If you shave off that 1.0mm+, it will possibly change/ruin the lines of the strap. Personally, I would consider remaking this from scratch and save this strap to give or sell it to somebody who can wear it as made.

Hi Brian, unfortunately i didn't make it :unsure: so there's no chance of making a new one. It came as a stock strap on a nice watch. I'm not too worried about the lines of the strap as it'll be barely noticed when wearing as its on the underside of my wrist. 

That's very likely a chrome tan leather, which doesn't really burnish.

Those edges are painted. To replicate them you'd need a small quantity of leather edge paint, which is readily available. It's entirely possible to get a good painted edge by hand, but tedious and probably will not end up as nice as the factory one. Every particular paint is different but usually you applies a careful bead of paint to the edge with the point of an awl or pencil, and allows the paint to dry thoroughly. Then the edge is either rubbed with a warm tool or with fine sandpaper and repainted. These steps are usually repeated several times to get a good rounded edge like you have there. After the last coat has dried it's usually given a polish with some beeswax and a canvas wheel.