Tomthehammer

Affordable bell skiver

I am looking for an affordable bell skiver. Can anyone help?

I am looking for an affordable bell skiver. Can anyone help?

Defining "affordable" may get you more answers. There appears to be quite a range of prices for them.

Edited by mikesc

Price of a basic, new bell-skiver, made in China and setup on a table with a motor and ready to go, hovers around $/£/€1000 from a brick-and-mortar dealer. You can go cheaper if you're willing to roll the dice on drop-shipping one directly from China, in which case you may have to contend with a poorly adjusted, poorly manufactured or damaged-in-transit machine that may not meet your local safety regulations or your working needs and no recourse to the seller if it goes wrong or was miss-sold. If you're not familiar with these machines you will have an even steeper learning curve than usual because you won't know if any errors are caused by the machine or operator.

I got lucky finding a vintage Fortuna a short drive away from me when I needed one, for less money than a new one, and the old boy was kind enough to teach me the basics and demonstrate that the machine worked before I loaded it into the car. I don't know what the used machinery market is like around Ontario but I've seen at least a half-dozen similar skivers go for even fewer beer tokens since then, all within a reasonable drive.

Here they are called "pareuse"..or "machine à  parer les cuirs", similar pricing to the UK new ( Chinese) or used ( usually Italian ) in good condition..

Sample current page from a site that deals in pro equipment..

https://www.lecoindupro.com/Search.aspx?c=6072

bell-skivers do not hang about waiting for buyers, there are a lot of them about, but they are sought after ( personally I have no use for one, but if I found one for under €500.00 I know I could pretty much double my money in less than 7 days re-selling it )..that page had one, needed work for €240.oo..Too far to drive ( busy ATM )..but I'd have been tempted..just to sell it on once I'd cleaned, tuned and sharpened it.

Edited by mikesc

Thanks everyone. I went with a new Techsew skiver.