toxo

Fireworks MX 2004

15 hours ago, mikesc said:

How do they get smooth edges..
"how do they get those edges so perfect on such thin leather?"
Ask Brian ( or Danne ) they are the perfect edge people around here..actually their edges are better than the ones on that wallet..

Although I do this type of edge coat edging every day I have never really got round to doing a tutorial on it as yet. This link to Danne's tutorial is similar enough to my own and perhaps more applicable for small volume jobs - https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/85026-finishing-edges-tutorial-with-edge-paint/?tab=comments#comment-575922

A bit of my own methods can be seen in this post of mine - https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/86675-how-i-make-crocodile-skin-leather-belts/

Some more can be found in some of my other posts which can be fond fairly easily by looking at my profile here and then looking down the list in the (about me) section.

18 hours ago, toxo said:

What's the criteria for eye protection re: the panels? is it just the colour? Density?

The black acrylic I have used on the sides is not see through and covers 90% of accidental viewing and the top green is there just as an extra safety when viewing the job on the run. It is not a extra special grade bought in for the job, but I have found that it seems to be better than the cheap glasses they provide with these lasers. Unlike your earlier statement about being surrounded by genius's that is not true in my case as I have found my self guilty tooo often at seeing the laser beam in action with out having my goggles on. The green top thankfully has helped in my case but I can not say that this is the right thing to do. I tried to find some method of putting it to some safe testing procedure and could not find anything useful. It is certainly less glary than looking through the goggles supplied.

DSC04492_resize.JPG

23 hours ago, mikesc said:

You want to try to burn the image on that area in the wallet where the Visa card is ? What are the measurements of that space..( in mm ) without going over any stitching lines.? I can shrink the image to fit .

How do they get smooth edges..
"how do they get those edges so perfect on such thin leather?"
Ask Brian ( or Danne ) they are the perfect edge people around here..actually their edges are better than the ones on that wallet..

Thanks Mike. I should be able to shrink it on F\W.  Ill try before bothering you. If you can simplify the image for carving I'd appreciate it.

8 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Although I do this type of edge coat edging every day I have never really got round to doing a tutorial on it as yet. This link to Danne's tutorial is similar enough to my own and perhaps more applicable for small volume jobs - https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/85026-finishing-edges-tutorial-with-edge-paint/?tab=comments#comment-575922

A bit of my own methods can be seen in this post of mine - https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/86675-how-i-make-crocodile-skin-leather-belts/

Some more can be found in some of my other posts which can be fond fairly easily by looking at my profile here and then looking down the list in the (about me) section.

The black acrylic I have used on the sides is not see through and covers 90% of accidental viewing and the top green is there just as an extra safety when viewing the job on the run. It is not a extra special grade bought in for the job, but I have found that it seems to be better than the cheap glasses they provide with these lasers. Unlike your earlier statement about being surrounded by genius's that is not true in my case as I have found my self guilty tooo often at seeing the laser beam in action with out having my goggles on. The green top thankfully has helped in my case but I can not say that this is the right thing to do. I tried to find some method of putting it to some safe testing procedure and could not find anything useful. It is certainly less glary than looking through the goggles supplied.

DSC04492_resize.JPG

Thanks Brian. I'll look at the links later. Here's something to chew over... I'm an ex fabricator/welder and the light I think is way stronger than the laser? The green screen was always glass. Also, modern screens are what they call auto dark. They work with a battery and the screen is clear until you strike an arc when it goes dark automatically (strangely enough). The other point with the modern screens is that they're adjustable for darkness to suit your eyes. You had to physically change screens in the old type. What all this means I have no idea but I just throw it out there for you genius' to chew over and come up with the ultimate solution