chrisash

Round Knife Stand

Good evening folks

To start with I do not have a round knife so have had to make a guess on sizes required

Had a though on what to make in 3D and came up with this design to hold your round knives when you are working rather than just lay them down, just a simple idea with dimensions of 150mm length for the knife holder main body with about 4mm slots in the knife gaps and a height of 60mm 

Before I proceed with a sample I would like the thickness of average round knife blade and also height from top of head to the start of the handle so i can adjust my measurements

Assuming the thickness of the handle will hold the knife above the bottom of the holder so not blunt it

Round knife holder v1.png

I have 7 head knives == all different dimensions.  That's why I have seven.

I like the idea, but I think I'd make a couple of changes ... go a little wider.  150mm is a shade under 6", which is a pretty common size.  They do often come as large as 7".  

I'd also consider putting a V notch, or some such in the middle of the long sides so that the will center up on the handle when you drop your knife in.

- Bill

Thanks Billy, The notch would not be a problem, can you advice on the maximum thickness of the blades and also the distance from the where the handle joins the blade to the cutting edge in the centre of the head, very easy to make a large as well as a long version, from what i have seen on the UK sites 5 inch seems to be the most common with quite a few at 4 1/2 or 4

Round knife holder v2.png

My Gomph is just about 145mm across, 75mm from ferrule to the edge, and 2.2mm thick.    My osborne is 100mm across, 45mm from ferrule to edge,  and 1.8mm thick.    

The Gomph was probalby 6" when new, but it's 100 + years old, so has probably been worn/sharpened down.   

I asked about a year ago about what the star markings mean on Osborne knives, and Bruce Johnson enlightened me. 

I suspect that larger than 7" is uncommon, but somebody that knows better may chime in for us!!

As for thickness, I think some of the modern LeatherWranglers and Knipshield knives might be thicker.  Maybe somebody that has one can put calipers to 'em and find out for us!

- Bill

Hi Folks

OK a free STL file for those of you with a 3D printer

note it takes about 15 hours to print and should hold 2 round knifes each up to 5 inches

I am out of filament at present so not printed it out yet, If its ok will consider doing 7 inch version if requested

Round Knife table stand.stl

Round knife holder v2.png

Edited by chrisash