Clayc1983

Ground seat

Hey guys, im about to begin building my first saddle. I bought a precision tree with the strainer fiberglassed into it and I’m wondering if any of y’all have used this kind of tree? If so did you build up what was there and cut out around the stirrup leather slots? Not much information on how to go about completing the ground seat on this kind of tree.. anyone have advice or pictures? Thanks 

clay 

I've made four saddles but none w built in strainer.  I'm thinking to make one this winter from a Chicago Stockyards tree w built in strainer. There are some posts on building on those trees that talk about building a ground seat.  You might search for them. My recollection is that you might want to build some seat to shape as you like. --John

Thank you, I been looking for some posts about them but have been unable to find any 

I would recommend making spacers for your leather slots as Stohlman shows in his Saddle Encyclopedia. Since this is your first saddle, I think that this would help in alignment of your leathers and less chance of cutting the fiberglass on the bars.  I've never treated a fiberglass seat any different than a metal strainer.  Also, I've used the same process on a La Porte tree as described in the Stohlman book.

A photo of the tree would help for people to offer suggestions, so that we are all on the same page.

Ron

Thank you, I been looking for some posts about them but have been unable to find any 

Finally figured out how to compress a file so I could attach a pic

7091FBFF-E14F-4D9A-B9FD-FE0413E78C91.jpeg

OK Clay...here's how I would start.  Cut and install stirrup leather plugs to fit your desired leather's width.  Use short tacks only long enough to hold plugs.  Long tacks make it hard to remove plugs when finished.  Remember to allow for the desired forward swing that you want.  Next, you'll have to install risers along your plugs to allow ground seat to bridge over the plugs.  As you can see, there are dimples in the fiberglass seat.  The first ground seat layer will be skived to smooth out the seat, and contour it to your desire. 

I hope this helps.  Since it is your first saddle, there are many ways to build a saddle; and, who really knows which way is best.  Every time I repair a saddle, I see different ways to reach the same end result.  Some good, some bad, and some I just can't figure out how they work.  One last thing, where you have marked 3/4; that may be too far back to allow for smooth leg action.

Ron