DebSweet

New owner of a Singer 31-15. Have questions.

Hi!  A local sewing machine mechanic was clearing out his workshop and I managed to bring home a 31-15 with motor and table.   I am thrilled to bits with my first industrial machine, even if it is still ungodly filthy at the moment.  It's cleaning up, slow but sure.  

I have bobbins and a pack of needles and a straight stitch presser foot.  And she sews and the motor works and all of that. 

However, I have some questions.  This is my first industrial machine and I'm discovering that the world of industrial machines is much different from domestics, so please be kind.  

I understand that this machine takes #69 thread.   Where is the best place to order that, please? 

I also need a zipper foot and a 1/8" topstitching foot. Where would I order such things from, please? 

Last but not least, I have a question about my sewing table.  When I took the machine out of the table to clean it, there were what looked like some wool felt thingies that just disintegrated.  My guess is that they are, or were, vibration dampeners.  Clearly I need some new ones.  I can't find any mention of these things in my copy of the owners manual.

What are these darn things called, is there a modern equivalent, and where do I purchase them, please? 

Grease.  Will the grease from the auto parts store do or do I need something else?

Grease wicks.  Are there any in this machine?  

Last but not least, I'm a big believer in RTFM. I am looking for a repair and adjustment manual.  Does anyone have a PDF copy, please?

Thank you!

Hi

We've got one of these old girls and a 31k32 the only difference being is that the 31k15 doesn't have reverse but that's not so much of a problem.  She's a basic industrial tailor's machine and could handle very light leather.  Ours is on her original treadle table. 

We only have an operator's manual same as you and there are no "adjustment" instructions in it.  We also have a parts list (link: https://www.universalsewing.com/tek9.asp?pg=parts_singer) - the PDF is big so can't attach it here, even after compressing.  Our aim was to restore but no repainting - she didn't need it.  We did a thorough clean, removed the face plate, presser foot and needle bar - it gets so gunked up with years of dust and oil.  She's quite a straightforward machine so don't let it daunt you - by the sound of you I don't think you will be ;)

For the suppliers, you could try College Sewing or Trojan Sewing in the UK (web site), Ebay or any of the great guys who sponsor this forum - their banner ads are at the top of the page - most of them are US based so will be better placed to help.

Whatever you do don't use grease of any kind !  Only vaseline oil AKA sewing machine oil for her!  As for wicks, we certainly haven't found any in her. 

Post some progress pics.  Happy restoration!

Manually oiled sewing machines use what's known as Lily White oil. It is very thin and clear. You can find it in Joann Fabrics and Walmart in 4 ounce squeeze bottles. It is sold in quarts and gallons by all industrial sewing machine dealers. I buy a quart a couple times a year and fill up small oil bottles that have precision tube spouts (also sold by industrial sewing machine dealers).

Being a Class 15 machine there are no usual gears to grease. Everything is crank driven and only requires light weight Lily oil. There are oil holes in all moving crank shafts. Some are marked on the body. Others are underneath the machine and more are inside the head (behind the faceplate). The cranks in the head need lots of drops of oil. Keep a rag under the presser foot for a while after oiling the machine.

You can buy accessory presser feet and bonded thread from any industrial sewing machine dealer, anywhere. They are very common on all Singer straight stitch machines. I buy a lot of parts, thread, needles, bobbins, oil and machines here.

You now have a "sweet" machine, Deb.  The marine manual for cleaning, calls for a soaking in desal fuel.  That's a good start.  Wiz is correct, as always, on the lily oil, as the correct and only lube.

Just google felt and you can get just what you need for your table.  Lowes, Home Depot and many other have it in stock for around $5 for far more than you need.

The 31-15 is known for it's ability to do light sewing, such as cowboy boot decorative stitching, which is what I use it for.  If you want to tame it's stitch speed, I would suggest looking into a "servo motor". As noted by WIz,  Toledo sewing is a great source for this singers needs.

PS.  You list your location as "USA".  In future questions, this forum can be of better help, if you narrow this location.  After all,  this is a BIG country. 

ENJOY YOUR MACHINE!